How to keep raccoons away

Page 4 of 7
Kelly E Jones wrote:

<snip>
This property can come in very handy, as long as you know a few key atomic weights. Say, for instance, that you're stuck in a boring class or lecture. No problem. Whip out your pencil and notepad and calculate how much H2 it would take to float your neighbor's cat into the stratosphere. Next, calculate how much He to do the same thing. Look up at the lecturer from time to time, appearing thoughtful. He or she will be impressed that you're taking more notes than any one else in the room.
The above is a purely hypothetical scenario. <g>
R, Tom Q.
Salty Thumb wrote: <snip>

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think those volume figures are a little off.
According to my handy-dandy Pocket Ref, here are the densities (@ STP):
O2    1.4290 g/L N2    1.2506 g/L CO    1.2500 g/L CO2    1.9770 g/L Air    1.2928 g/L
Just as a sanity check, I multiplied each one of those figures by 22.4 to make sure that the product was close to the molecular mass (they are).
R, Tom Q.

Erg. Now you've made me realize that mis-remembered that the molar volume of a gas is 22.4, not 24 as I stated in my previous posts. Been a long time since college...
Kelly
snipped-for-privacy@ptdcs2.intel.com (Kelly E Jones) wrote in wrote:

The volume is around 24.04 L/mol at 20C, 1 atm (which is the temp I calculated at) and 22.4 L/mol at STP.

Ha, thanks, but mine were way off. This is why I am not a chemist (or mathematician). The correct equation is probably: v^3 - (b + RT) v^2 + a V - ab = 0 (forgot to multiply RT by v^2 last time)
which gives CO 1.168 g/L at 20C, 1 atm CO 1.253 g/L at STP (using 28 for mass)
Close enough to the value you reported.
Calculations for other compounds are an exercise left to the reader
Salty Thumb wrote: <snip>

I think there's something wrong with those numbers. 1 mole of (ideal) gas occupies 22.4 L @ STP. Your numbers should vary slightly.
Kelly's already done a bang-up job of explaining why you need to bring mass back into the picture.
R, Tom Q.

Um. Hate to be practical and everything here, but if you're forcing a gas into the gopher hole, the density doesn't matter; it's not going there by gravity, it's going there by pressure. You could force helium down there and it'd go down rather than up, density and molecular mass notwithstanding.

ache.
Brownian motion will cause gases to mix. You don't see the O2 and N2 that compose most of our "air" separating.

But isn't it true that there exists some "heavy" gas that will tend to collect at a lowest elevation? I don't remember exactly what carbon monoxide does, but it's possible that I've also heard that it sinks (compared to say something like helium which obviously wants to rise).
The question is whether CO is one of those gases.
On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:36:23 GMT, Salty Thumb

Is not...Oxygen (O2, molecular wt 32) will settle slowly...Carbon Dioxide (CO2, molecular wt 44) settles fairly well...Propane (C3H8, also molecular wt 44), settles well enough to cause major problems if a leak occurs.
ck
--
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)

actually, carbon monoxide, at mol wt 28 (same as N2) is slightly lighter than air (avg formula wt approx 30).
and there have been a number of documented human survivors from failed CO suicide attempts because the engines shut down before the air in the garage became lethal.
and cigarette smokers frequently tolerate levels of carboxy hemoglobin that would debilitate folks who didn't smoke.
ck
--
country doc in louisiana
(no fancy sayings right now)

emergency
gunshots.
and
Animal Control here WILL NOT deal with anything but dogs and cats and the occasional potbelly pig. Raccoons are *wildlife* and therefore non-domestic and not their problem. If you have an injured one, the state wildlife guys will direct you to a vet and foster parent, but they don't deal with them either unless they're possibly rabid, and since that's not happened since sometime in the 70's, you just get told to call a pest control firm who'll charge you big bucks and still not solve your problem.
If the original poster and his child are too stupid to install an electric wire like was recommended, then let him deal with no fish in the fish ponds and no veggies in the garden and several ER bites from trying to trap them. Evolution in action. He'll either learn what futility is, or he'll actually educate himself on electric fences and not subscribe to ignorant hysteria. I'll bet he's even touched his tongue to a battery as a child, but somehow he thinks that should have electrocuted him.

enlist
non-domestic
Hmm. They were more than happy to come over to my house to remove a raccoon that was wandering around the yard in broad daylight. Is it possible that animal control departments are different from one place to another? Would it hurt to call and ask?

enlist
non-domestic
ponds
them.
actually
I'm pretty sure it takes more than 9v to scare off a racoon. So how much voltage would you use that would do the job but not hurt the child? I know you can die from as little as 50v. Even less if you got imaginative.

hysteria.
somehow
know
Don't let your kids wear wool socks on a low humidity day...imagine what would happen if they discovered they can shuffle around the house and zap each other with a few thousand volts. A typical static electricity shock is about 2000 - 4000 volts.
Of course a amperage involved is so low, that aside from the surprise, no damage is done. Ever taken a weak 9v battery and tapped it against your tongue? A fresh battery hurts a little, but a weak one gives a little tingling sensation.
A consumer grade electric fence is harmless, it will give a mild shock, but nothing dangerous. I couldn't find the specifications online, so guestimating, if an electric fence transformer draws 120v A/C @ 1 amp, the output would be 4000 v A/C at .03 amp.
That's just a mild shocker, pretty safe..if it was D/C on the otherhand is a different story.
Sameer
<snip> <A consumer grade electric fence is harmless, it will give a mild shock, but <nothing dangerous. I couldn't find the specifications online, so <guestimating, if an electric fence transformer draws 120v A/C @ 1 amp, the <output would be 4000 v A/C at .03 amp. < <That's just a mild shocker, pretty safe..if it was D/C on the otherhand is a <different story. < < <Sameer < <
Doesn't matter whether it's A/C or D/C.
Here's a reference:
<http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html
        Bill

much
is
but
You dont know much about electricity it appears. Static electricity is completely different from transformer electricity. When you get a shock from static electricity it is 2-4k for only an extreme fraction of a second. I dont remember how short exactly (1ms comes to mind), but it is the brevity that saves you. As it swiftly runs out of electrons the voltage falls to zero. Power out of your wall does not fall off. At all. That 120v will deliver 1mA or 15A depending on the resistance of what you are powering and only limited by your circuit breaker or fuse. If you were to put a penny in the fusebox it could deliver 1000's of amps with no problem except that the wires would get hot. So putting it through a transformer will not reduce the amperage available to any safe amount. 4000v will kill you, and it matters not whether it is DC or AC.
Now as to the matter of electric fences, when I was a child my grandpa told me to stay away from the electric fence surrounding the cow field. He said it would kick me like a sledgehammer. He could have been pulling my leg, but I imagine that anything meant to coerce a cow would hurt a human. OTOH, a raccoon is not a cow. The question is open whether you could make a fence with enough jolt to keep out racoons but not enough to hurt 3 year olds. I personally doubt it.
On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:41:03 -0700, Adam Russell wrote:

He never showed you how to take a stalk of timothy, start by holding the end and touching the other end to the fence ... then shortening the distace between your hand and the wire until you felt the electricity?

Dairy cattle are more sensitive than humans to electricity. "Stray voltage" that humans don't notice can decrease their production. My REC (rural electric company) will come out and check the barn if a problem is suspected. With any animal, you want them to touch their nose (wet and no hair) to the fence. A trick with bear is to hang bacon from the wire.
I wouldn't have an electric fence positioned-so and/or on-when a 3-year old could get to it. But, worst case, it could certainly hurt, but I don't think harm him/her. An additional precaution is to use a battery operated fence to limit the amperage in case the tranformer malfunctions.
Oh, for cryin' out loud....
I grew up on a farm, and as kids we grabbed the fence tons of times when we thought it was off. It hurt like hell, but it didn't kill us. Just sent us crying to mom.
Ig..don't know what state you live in, but in PA the Game Commission will remove nuisance wildlife at no charge....
Jennifer