How to keep raccoons away

Page 1 of 7
I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).
It is fenced with a chain link fence, but they still sneak in. I am guessing that they get in between the fence and the ground. What are the practical ways of raccoon proofing the backyard. Maybe some wire stuff that can be added to the fence, or what? Can I simply buy a raccoon trap and transport a few away from my property?
Shooting them is not an option due to our city code.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
Do you think it could be rabbits or possum , rabbits often have nests in gardens, possum dig, Racoons climb. Find the hole under the fence and close it , running fencing 6" below grade will stop entry, for moles get 1/2" opening. A motion detector, battery operated , rotating sprinkler head that shoots a sharp spray is someting ive seen for sale that would run them off.. Sprays and chemicals just wash away.
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the bottom of the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach the top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of the fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.
A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....
Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive stems that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far your fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end up being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations. That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

that's upsetting that they can climb.

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5 raccoons, would it actually help?

no space for that, unfortunately.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
Ignoramus15189 wrote:

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They are not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

Some areas, like were I live, do not allow you to release a raccoon that you might trap. I also suggest lots of miles. However it will not really help. If they like the area and there is food, they or others will be back.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

ahem.. <cough> [tap tap] THEY HAVE HANDS!!!
.max
--
the part of < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

are
They also have a sense of humor. While camping in the Catskills many years ago, my wife & I watched as some knucklehead set up a screen house, and inside it, two sets of collapsible plastic shelves onto which he placed what appeared to be enough snacks for an army. Lots of chips, cookies, cereal, etc. The ranger warned the dummy about wildlife, but I guess he decided the ranger didn't know what he was talking about. Around 2:00 AM, there was lots of crashing & interesting animal sounds. Two raccoons had bitten through the screen and knocked over the shelves. When the guy got up the nerve to come out of his tent, the creatures were still inside having a feast, while they watched the guy run around outside the screen house yelling. The feast continued for about an hour until the ranger finally came over and urged them (with a stick) to go elsewhere. He then evicted the camper.
Doug Kanter wrote:
My brother had a group that use to stop by his house and let his cat out so they could all play together. They never bothered anything, but the cat had fun playing follow the leader with them.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I have no love for raccoons. They have killed too many of my pet ducks. They kill just for the fun of killing as they do not eat the meat. Dogs are fairly effective at chasing them but you want to make sure your dog is big enough that it will be the winner if it actually catches the raccoon. The Have-a-heart trap is good. However my idea is to submerge the trap in the swimming pool if you actually catch a raccoon.
Dick
Doug Kanter wrote:

LOL at coons. When still in Illinois I had tossed a bunch of Halloween suckers in the trash that the ants had gotten into. The next morning I found a pile of sucker sticks in the yard! I laughed for days at the mental picture of these coons sucking on suckers in the yard. :)
amy
On 10 May 2004 14:33:59 GMT, Ignoramus15189

you should be afraid of them, you will never win in a tussle with one, trapping might be worthwhile but relocating them is illegal in many places.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:33:59 +0000, Ignoramus15189 wrote:

Very well ... trees, downspouts, whatever. As already mentioned, they're good with their paws. Saw one open a foam cooler, and then the screw top on the jar of jelly he selected. And in areas where they're used to people, lights and/or radio don't work. What about keeping a dog in the fenced area at night?

Unless you live in a rabies-free area, it would be foolish not to be cautious. Even non-rabid raccoons can be fiesty if they're cornered. So if you're involving a child in this, be sure he understands that he should not approach one by himself.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how many there are around. It would be bad form to release on private land without permission.

No! Bad idea! The dog will dig in the garden or crap all over it. Bad, bad, bad.
On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:56:07 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

Not if the dog is trained. When I lived in the city, where most houses had postage-stamp back yards, the majority had at least a couple tomato plants AND a dog.

Grrrr.....dogs.....the only good thing about them is that most of them are dumb enough to stand still while you tape a pistol target to their midsections. Sincerely, Dog Curmudgeon

I have enough critters to take care of (a 3 yo kid and 2 chickens and a fishtank). A dog to keep the 'coons away is a hassle, and, I cannot have a dog live inside the house due to allergy.

I am sure I can come up with a safe release procedure, such as, I would be in the bed of the truck, and release the raccoon from a lowered trap, or whatever.

I would release them in a forest preserve.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:56:11 +0000, Ignoramus15189 wrote:

OK.

I relocated som opossums and it went fine. Placed the trap so when I opened it, the critter was facing toward some brushy cover.

Unless you're sure it isn't prohibited, be stealthy about it.
About an electric fence ... Assuming yours are standard raccoons, they'll raid the garden at night, so it wouldn't be on during the day. I wouldn't put one outside the chain link in an urban area in any event, but it should be possible to attach one to the top with some kind of angle brackets (pointed in). The raccoons would get zapped on the nose when they come over the top of the chain link.
I have a new thought. They used to make fur coats out of raccoons, and hats. We could make a Russian style winter fur hat for my son, for example.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- @ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @ char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()         "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Doug Kanter wrote:

bottom of

the
Galvanized wire screen that you buy in rolls. It's available with openings of various sizes. It'll be obvious which size to get.

the
It's not upsetting to the raccoons. :-)

local
In order to release an animal from a Havahart trap, your hands will be right ON the trap as you open the end. You didn't say whether you've seen raccoons on your property during daylight hours, but if you have, it's assumed they may be rabid. Animal control people may have equipment which allows them to keep a little more distance during the release.
Besides...if you have to "get weird" to keep from being bitten, it might mean hurting the animal.

Beats me. I lived in a semi-city neighborhood where we'd only see one or two per year. No idea what your area is like. Take a walk, look for other vegetable gardens, and knock on the owners' doors & ask them.

stems
your
up
lacerations.
Too bad. It's fun to watch dogs crash into barberry bushes.

thanks
I have not seen them during daylight.