How to insulate shop ceiling HELP

I have just built a new shop which is the pole barn type. It has rafters running on 8 ft centers . I want to use the blow in type of insulation and was wondering how heavy it would be at 10 in. deep ? I am also looking into options as to what to cover the ceiling with . Would heavy duty plastic sheeting hold up the insulation ? What have you used ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

8 Ft on center?

Might want to figure how much you need, then figure that weight.

Is this moisure barrer you are talking about? Usually this layer has no structural support value. What is your ceiling made of?

Also, I think some people might want to know if your attic is ventilated too.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

I'd run some stringers across the 8' opening and then put up 3/8" drywall. Plastic of any sort will sag and the insulation will ten to come towards the center. And if it breaks, well, please post pictures.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

8 ft centers? You will need to run a minimum of a 2x4, but probably a 2x6 across the lower run of the rafter, them hang sheetrock to that. Blow in insulation above that. Best check with the people that built it, or if you built it yourself, check with the lumber yard where you bought the lumber from for ideas. It is possible the lower run of the rafters were not made to hold the weight of a ceiling, then you rally have some work on your hands! Plastic will not hold anything at all, you would be lucky if the plastic stays up all by its self! I went through this myself a few years ago with some temporary space I was renting. I tried the plastic route, but ended up with 2x4's and sheetrock. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Your building supplier will have a form of rigid insulation that will work. Morton buildings have a foil coated rigid material that they apply after the roof panels are on, and post applied to side panel types as well. Others are probably similar. It makes sense to use a light weight self adhesive panel for efficiency and minimal labor and avoid having to spend time and money on unecessary framing just for insulation. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst