How to insulate a crawl space door?

We have an addition to our house that sits on cinder block and has a small 3 foot tall door. Recently the original door rotted out at the bottom, so its time to replace it...but I want to make sure its well insulated. The original door is 3/4" thick plywood with some 1" thick styrofoam board glued to it. Any suggestions on how to make a door that's better insulated? (Or is this original way a decent way to go?) Thanks!

Reply to
stratford1

If the block wall around the door isn't inslated there's not much advantage to adding more insulation than you have. Your time would be better spent on weatherstripping the door so as to limit cold air infiltration.

Reply to
C & E

imho:

I don't have a crawspace, but have an attic door. I used weather stripping around it to cut down on drafts and the stack effect.

tom @

Tom The Great

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on better material to use for the door instead of plywood? And/or should I consider trying to install something thicker?

Reply to
stratford1

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on better material to use for the door instead of plywood? And/or should I consider trying to install something thicker?

Reply to
stratford1

I take it this is a access door on the outside, exposed to the weather? There are purpose-built weather tight steel door kits for applications like that. How far above the dirt is the bottom of the door? I'd look at digging out that area so at least a couple of inches of concrete show below the door, and putting some gravel down for drainage. For that matter, can you make the access way bigger, and use one of those premade window wells sold for basement egress windows? If you go with a wood door again, anything you can do to keep groundwater splash off of it, and keep it out of reach of termites, will help.

As to insulation- what the other guy said- if the walls in the crawlspace are not insulated, some stiff foam on the door panel is plenty. But if you need more, and the wall is deep enough, and the door opens out, you can make a jam-fit 'cork' out of the thick foam panels and some plastic whatever on the edges, with a loop of rope on the outside to pull it into the hole as you close the door. Hard to say without seeing the opening.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers