How to install over-the-hood microwave over gas range

Hi, We plan to install an over-the-hood microwave over our gas range by replacing the existing hood. Can you give some tips/advice on how to do it and what precautions to take regarding the gas/electric lines and also compatibility of the vents? Thanks.

Reply to
rob786

The mw is heavy and in an awkward place to lift. Far easier to move the range out of the way first.

You'll need electric for the mw. Mine is a receptacle inside the cabinet above. If you are hooking up to existing duct to the outside, you may need a transition adapter, but the instructions will tell you what is needed. I've put two different brands in. Both were fairly easy and a bracket was put in pace first, them the mw was hung on it. Takes maybe 30 to 60 minutes. best done with a helper to lift it in place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We had a GE microwave installed above our stove. Looked like a straightforward two person job. I believe you can download the directions from the GE web site to see what is involved, where the vent should be, etc. Some places code calls for a separate outlet for the microwave, ours is in the cabinet above the microwave.

Reply to
Jeff

Easy job:

find studs, lay template, attach back plate, drill holes in the cabinet above for two support screws, insert screws, lift microwave, plug it into the outlet insert mw into the back plate (second person would be good), fasten two screws.

Enjoy.

Reply to
Brian

On Mon 03 Oct 2005 04:59:53p, rob786 wrote in alt.home.repair:

First, it's a fairly easy job, even easier with two people. I only have experience with the GE line, but their instructions are more than ample for the average person to do a perfect job. The GEs, at least, have a power cord with a grounded plug which feeds up through the bottom of the cabinet where you're installing it. You will need to provide a power outlet in the cabinet. Most of these units can be vented either through the rear or through the top into the cabinet. There should be no conflict between your gas line and the location of the power outlet for the micro.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright