How to inspect furnace filters?

Page 5 of 7
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9:21:07 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And what does all this drivel have to do with inspecting furnace filters?
Sorry...tried to resist, but just couldn't. :-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I compare NG to past century parlor or present day neighborhood drinking hole. Converssations always jump around.

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 10:20:12 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Tru dat!
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 10:10:33 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

It was joke...look up thread.
On 10/3/2015 6:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd be leary of trying. My biggest UPS is a bit over 3KVA. And, it would be very useful to be able to use it to "heat up a quick bite to eat" during an outage. Yet, I'm not sure the microwave (1KW) wouldn't toast the UPS in the process. Too much to risk for too small a potential gain!
Granted, genset is a more robust device -- engine can absorb some of the peak overload -- but I wouldn't want to test it!
[I'm comfortable planning to use it for the freezer as my buddy has already used it for that purpose in the past]
On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 19:04:08 -0700, Don Y

a decent one) Now when mine is on NG or LP it will stall the generator before it trips the breaker on the generator - but it will likely trip my input breaker at the panel.
On 10/3/2015 1:50 PM, Don Y wrote:

CY: Dollar tree has four packs of AA or AAA alkalines. Three packs of C or D carbon zinc cells.

CY: Those free HD short black lights are amazing.

CY: That used to be the case for some rechargble cells. Some C and D were 2500 mA hour, and were probably upsized AA. Alkalines and carbon zincs are ok with the bigger sizes.

CY: That's wisdom.

CY: 9V transistor cells are used in some emergency exit devices in stores. Also in the Comtek hearing amplifier box I use at church. Also my UEI non contact infrared thermometer. Also in Harbor Freight cheap VOM. Other than that, nothing (smile).
[snip]

I remember the "free" 5-D-cell flashlight at Radio Shack (batteries not included).
[snip]

I have an electronic (combination) door lock that uses a 9V battery. Also, some wearable LED Halloween lights.
--
82 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/4/2015 7:51 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Blueish-grey plastic. But, you'd never be able to use it to look *behind* a computer -- too long (unless your computer was 2 feet away from the wall!)

I have a funky baseball cap with lights in the bill that can be controlled (some on, all on, flashing, different "sequences", etc. But, still powered by three AA cells at the rear of the cap.
AA and AAA seem to be the way forward (for "standard" cells)
On 10/4/2015 2:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

Those were great for night walks, and being able to jacklight racoons in the trees. I totally enjoyed those five cell lights. Lot of good memories.
On 10/3/2015 1:13 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I'd offer to pay shipping, send em here.
But with the new Cree emitters, AA light is a bright as the old Mag. And the D cell three watt mags are excellent.
[snip]

I hadn't used C cells in a long time until I got this cat toy (and it takes THREE).
[snip]
--
82 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 9:11:46 AM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:

Color me confused.
You can buy batteries in packs of as little as 2 or 4, all the way up to the bulk packs or 24, 36+ with more options in between.
Is there no combination of those sizes that will fit your needs?
On 10/3/2015 10:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

buying them, Walmart, Target, etc. They don't have the 2 and 4 packs anymore.
Bill
On 10/03/2015 12:04 PM, Bill Gill wrote:
[snip]

I remember my Radio Shack free battery card. Those batteries were sold individually. Of course, the free ones were "heavy duty".
--
82 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/4/2015 10:41 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That was about the time alkalines were invented, and heavy duty was only ones available.
On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 7:22:17 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm reminded of the old saying "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
On 10/2/2015 11:42 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

We don't need to "write it" -- just remember to replace it the first of *every* month.

Our clocks and remotes use AA or AAA batteries. As do many of our flashlights, "digital" magnifying glasses, cordless keyboards and mice, etc. So, those are all outfitted with rechargeable NiMH cells while a set of 4 of these remains in a charger at all times (if any device's "batteries" falter, throw *those* in the charger while taking the ones *from* the charger for the device in question). If more than 4 cells fail at the same time, we'll be inconvenienced for an hour or so while the charger tops off those "other" cells. Four "extra" cells to support all those devices (instead of a package of 20 "spare" alkalines.
Everything else uses some sort of "specific" rechargeable battery: the PDAs, cordless phone, cell phone, gyromouse, UPS's, iPods, BT earpieces, electric wheelbarrow, cordless vacuum, cameras, the oversized flashlights with built-in chargers and various scientific instruments.
[We have a LOT of battery powered devices, here. With batteries ranging in size from fingertip to "car battery" and costs from pennies to hundreds of dollars. Hence the BIG appeal of *rechargeable*]
This leaves the 2 maglites (3xD cells), the coleman floodlight (8xD), the "CMOS batteries" in the computers and keyfobs, and the smoke/CO detectors (9V).
With three of these flashlights (not counting the ones that are miniature suns), one can always treat two as "spares" in the event that the batteries in one die -- off to the store at our leisure! Computers and key fob batteries fail so very infrequently and with a significant warning so picking up another "coin cell" is no big deal.
That leaves the smoke/CO detectors -- which have the annoying trait of "complaining"/annoying *when* they die. Simply don't *let* them die!
Don Y wrote:

6 month. I buy them 6 in a box. Costs approx. 100.00. some times I use electronic filter turning it on.