How to hire undocumented landscape workers in Montgomery County, MD)

Page 1 of 2
I moved to Montgomery County, Maryland last Fall and need to start a landscape project this Spring. Quotes from landscapers are in the $5000 to $7000 range, with about $3000 of the cost being labor. From what I can tell, the landscaping companies hire day laborers from the Casa De Maryland day labor gathering point and basically mark up their cost of labor to make a profit. According to this web site, http://grass-roots.org/usa/casamd.shtml , I could just hire the day laborers myself and cut out the middleman (the landscape company). So, can anyone tell me the answers to these questions? I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have hired day laborers from the Casa De Maryland gathering point, but if anyone has done a similar project with "undocumented workers", I'd appreciate any advice.
1. How much should I offer to pay these guys per hour?
2. Do I need to be worried about the INS, the IRS, or any other government agency?
3. Presumably, I will just need to pay the workers in cash for each day's work. Do I need to worry about taxes in any way?
4. Should I pay them for transportation time? I plan to pick up the workers and take them back to the gathering point each day.
5. I don't know much Spanish, although I know a few basic phrases. Will that be a problem?
6. I would supply drinks, but should I also supply lunch?
7. How safe is it to deal with these people and have them come to my house?
8. Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanks for any advice.

You need to be locked up for about 20 years, you scumbag.
Mike Green writes:

That's how they make a living, what's wrong with that?
[snip]

I'm across the river in Arlington and while I haven't directly hired any "immigrant" workers several of my pals are contractors and do so regularly. Sooo. . .

Going rate last time I looked was $8/hr for unskilled hauling and digging, $10-12 for skilled or a crew boss. The rate fluctuates depending on the length of the job - multi-day jobs pay slightly less per hour b/c it's guarranteed work for several days. If these guys aren't working they're not making money.
$8 is the floor rate for hourly. You provide lunch, that's a given.

Nope, not as a one-off. These guys are, unless you hire them for more than a certain number of hours, independent contractors not employees, so they're responsible for taxes, medical, etc. INS will sweep the Casa, not a small job like yours.

Yes, cash. No, taxes - see above.

Yes.
Yes. Assuming you're hiring 2-3 workers one should speak enough English to translate your instructions for the others.

Yes. It's customary and also a show of respect.

Having been ripped off by a native born Caucasian contractor I'd say it's as safe as any alternative. This is life, no guarrantees.
To minimize the opportunity for theft make sure you show them the nearest bathroom to the outdoors as their bathroom and close any interior doors between the outside door and the bathroom. Also remove any "tempting" small objects along the route. Since you'll be transporting them to and from the job I don't think you'll have to worry about TVs or stereos walking out the door.
Actually you're safer if you hire 2-5 guys and include a crew chief - the guys will police themselves. Even if you pick one troublemaker the others will make sure nothing happens because the last thing any of these guys want is a visit from the police.

Pick the crew chief first, make sure he understands the job and let him pick the rest of the crew.
If it moves por favor and gracias it. Let your crew chief handle the discipline if any.
Good luck,
Marc

If you cant speak the language , and dont KNOW landscaping it might end up costing you 4000 in labor for a less than perfect job , And no warranty, If one gets injured , you pay out of your pocket. Bottom line it could go great if you got a few guys that speak english and work hard, or it could go bad if they are bad apples.
on Long Island between 80-120 a day depending on skill you pick up and drop off get one guy english speaking guy to act as a forman. If they work well get the same guys the next day. If the forman is good give him more. I saw one guy that was a real carpenter in mexico he was highley skilled fast and accurate. saw another guy who said "yes carpenter very good" even as a helper he was not good.
Regards Gary WWW.LIsheds.com Storage Sheds for the NY tri state area
m Ransley wrote:

Put aside a few grand to deal with the feds if the neighbor complains that you hired undocumented laborers. Good grief. There are lots easier ways to get in trouble.

My advice would be for you to not illegally hire illegals.

$1.00/hr
Of course not. Our government loves illegals and people who hire them.

Read above.

Only if you are stupid, which you seem to be.

The problem is the fact that you are willing to hire illegals and are willing to break the federal laws.

Only if you are willing to poison said lunch for them.

Not safe, but you deserve whatever happens to you since you are willing to hire them.

Hiring illegals in my opinion is nothing less than a personbeing a traitor to his own country.

Maniack wrote:

Good answers.
--
Yard and Garden Handyman

[...]
HA HA April Fools.
Jocko
Mike Green wrote:

Depende. Si los obreros no hablan ingles, si, tendrias problema. Como piensas tu en comunicarles sus deseos a ellos? Como van a peguntarte ellos?
If you can understand the above, you probably won't have a problem. _________________________

It would be expected. ____________________________

Safe physically or materially? Physically, most likely quite safe. Materially would be no worse or better than a bunch of ill educated anglo laborers.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Mike Green wrote:

Pay them minimum wage. That way, you're not giving them an advantage over legal workers.
By the way, I do landscaping work. And I am a citizen and a Marylander since 1963.

Absolutely not.
There is no more INS. It was broken up almost two years ago. The successor agency, the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement ("ICE") has only 2000 agents for the whole of the US who can be assigned to immigration enforcement in the interior, or border-crossing prevention.
Law-enforcement in Montgomery County MD is absolutely prohibited from inquiring about or reporting immigration status. Hell, if you go up to Casa de Maryland, you will see representatives of the department of police engaging in collaboration with persons they must suspect are not legally in the USA. So there's nothing to fear from them, either. And the State police is restricted to patrolling the highways outside of local jurisdictions, with the exception of handling human-rights cases. So, the only cops you have to worry about are the ones that you'll meet if you fail to pay your illegals.
Similarly, no need to fear the IRS. They've got better things to do than to bust people for income-tax evasion, especially petty things like failing to withhold taxes for workers who aren't legally in the country and aren't legally working. As far as the IRS is concerned, these people simply don't exist.

See above.

Unlikely, there's almost always one "crew chief" who will speak passable English.

That's up to you. If you want to, you can buy them their lunch and pay them to sit around and eat it. I doubt they'd object.

"How dare you impugn the characters of these hard-working immigrants?"

HIRE AMERICAN.
There are 12 millions of illegal aliens illegally WORKING in the USA. There are 12 millions of AMERICAN CITIZENS NOT WORKING in the USA.
Do The Math.

--
The incapacity of a weak and distracted government may
often assume the appearance, and produce the effects,

Washington Post articles, Montgomery County government now only approves of it, but encourages it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId 2104-2001Dec16&notFound=true
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5335-2001May31.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49650-2001Jul25.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36215-2000Dec7.html
I have a well drawn, detailed landscape plan, and I've done lots of landscaping myself in my previous homes, but if I can get people for $8 to $10 / hour to do basic digging and moving of landscape materials, it's easily worth it. I have an endorsement on my homeowner's insurance that protects me in case any of the workers get hurt. After reading the other posts, I don't see any downside.
- Mike
If the law were enforced, half of the Southwest would be in prison.
Bob

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 03:27:05 GMT, "rck"

That wouldn't be all bad.

And that would be excellent.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:17:31 GMT, "H. Reader"

If the law were enforced the wet-backs wouldn't get in. They'd still be in Mexico where they belong.
RB
rck wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId 2104-2001Dec16&notFound=true
(All but this group snipped) *CBHVAC* spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

<snip>
Steve, you're slipping. That was too calm... :)
NOI

Yea...I thought about that as I sent it..
Mike Green wrote:

It certainly does. You will note, there are no similar facilities which have a focus on finding work at similar skill levels for Americans or non-hispanic legal resident aliens.

For $8-10/hr you can certainly hire Americans.