How to hire sheetrockers

I'm not about to sheetrock my downstairs basement project. Learned the hard way how tough that is. So, I need to hire a sheetrocker. Where do I find one?
And how do I determine what a good price is? I want him to bring in all the supplies. No ceilings, just exactly 8' high walls
Priced by the square ft? Man hours? I can measure the wall square footage.
Should I pay him maybe half at start-up and the rest when I'm satisfied he's done a good job.
How long should it take for him to do one large family room and one mid-sized bedroom?
Thanks.
Why do you need to hire someone? Just curious to know what troubles you ran into doing it yourself.

I can't speak for the OP... but from my perspective, it's a pain in the @$$. Next time I need to do more than six or eight sheets, I'm definitely hiring that out.
--
Regards,

I'm too old now. Kinda weak in theback.

IN my area PA, they charge $15.00 per sheet labor plus materials
Searcher
Shopdog spake thus:

$15 per sheet *taped and mudded*, ready to paint? That sounds too cheap to me. (Maybe because I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where you'd quickly go broke charging rates like that.)
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Not far off for places outside of large metro areas methinks--that's just under $0.50/sq-ft which ain't bad for plain wall, no overhead or high work. SIL is about $0.65/sq-ft in Olympia area for simple work. Surchages apply for overhead, high ceilings, complex corners or similar...
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:03:56 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Funny. Around here it will cost more than $15 with three of six ceiling can lights covered up...
-- Oren

An acquaintance recntly built two 5000 sf homes (garages finished included).
I don't know the cost. But he did pay for the hanging by the sf and the taping and mud, prep for paint was another cost by another crew.
Ceilings where 10', 14, and 16'.
You may save some by hanging the sheet rock vertical (8' high walls).
-- Oren

Need sheet rock?
What was the diagnosis on those baseboard heaters you have?
Did you find all the necessary info?

I decided to go 10/2 30 amp on both and not worry about it.
I would never do the mudding myself but just hanging drywall is pretty easy IMO. Plan on doing 1400 sq ft. of my basement this winter...
snipped-for-privacy@blah.com wrote:

Yah- the hanging isn't so bad...
What no one has mentioned is the EXTREME HASSLE of getting the sh*t in the friggin' basement in the first place LOL
That's when you REALLY need a strong back and weak mind!
http://www.goalelectrical.com
No doubt. That's why I'll be sticking with 1/2" 4x8 sheets when I start filling up my basement with them.
My truck (Chevrolet Avalanche) is going to be really nice for this though. With the midgate open I can transport a nice stack 4x8 sheets totally inside the vehicle with the tailgate closed. Rain/or snow the cargo & passenger areas are protected from the elements.

When I built my house I had 242 sheets delivered, that's 12' sheets and it was supposed to rain that night. Never worked so hard in my life than getting all that inside and of course the rain did not happen, ;-(
--Ben

Do the supplierss there not offer "delivered & placed" service?
The usual charge here is eighty bucks ... four guys humping it into place -- the area to be boarded.
Same story with shingles -- can't imagine not getting rooftop delivery ... if it's available.
Ken
46erjoe wrote:

If you're going to supervise and help, the parking lot of big box store. I'd offer $12/hr and lunch (Double Whopper, fries, soda).

Plan on 8 hours. Do the hard stuff with his help. If you don't finish in that time period, you'll just have tune-up stuff remaining.