How to have a lamp turn on when inside temp drops below sixty.

Page 3 of 3

http://www.purocleanri.com/files/411/Freezing_Weather_and_Water_Damage%5B1%5D.pdf
a great explnation of some of the issues which go beyond water and sewer lines.
the article points out freezing can damage electronics.......
you can all go read for yourself:)
I have seen plaster spall in unheated homes. moisture in plaster freezes, moisture expands and it literally falls apart.
doesnt appear to be a issue for drywall.
plus the expansion contraction can cause cracks, homes werent designed to freeze thaw

What building materials are anything but well preserved in the cold?
I've used vacation houses left ice cold except on weekends and they weren't affected in the slightest. Of course the water had to be drained, but that isn't a big deal.

Yes but vacation house does not have all conveniences, utilities or human subsidy that normal house have. And as far as material depend again on Relative Humidity of location.

Actually, it did. The only thing it didn't have was a stinking big tv entertainment system.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:13:33 -0600, AZ Nomad

Due to condensation from temperature changes paint flakes, wallpaper comes off (or mildues) plaster can crumble, but more often drywall. The biggest concern, however, is frost getting into the foundation and heaving it - which cracks walls, cracks foundations, and can even go as far as cracking window glass and causing doors to jam.
Mildues? Is that like having Milqtoast for breakfast?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Rather than bother the neighbor, get a sensaphone that will call you up when temperature or anything else changes.
By the time the neighbor drives by, the pipes could have frozen.
http://www.sensaphone.com/sensaphone_400.php
Thanks for the ideas. While following one suggestion I found a "Winter Watchman" by Honeywell at ACE Hdwe. for $21. Set the temp, turn on the lamp, plug lamp into watchman, plug watchman into wall. Just what I hoped to find. Ran tests in the basement, then in the garage. It seems to work. Thanks all.