How to hang 40-50 lbs on vinyl siding

My 12x18 shed is vinyl sided. I want to mount 3 brackets across the back side of the shed to span just about the full 18'. These brackets will hold a reel of material ....basically a tarp... that will weigh approx 40 lbs.
Can anyone suggest the best way to mount these brackets into the vinyl? I already made one hole with a screw but the vinyl appeared to pull away from the wall rather than the screw bite in and hold. Any special screws or anchors needed? Is there a way to do this without drilling?
Thanks for your help.
MJ wrote:

Large screws into the wall studs through the vinyl. For this purpose forget the vinyl exists. You will almost certainly need to drill a pilot hole.
MJ,
I'd have very little faith in the siding. Mount the brackets to the frame of the structure not to the siding. You will need to drill a few pilot holes.
Dave M.
on 9/21/2007 8:21 AM MJ said the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Use a long enough screw to go into a stud and problem solved. No way would I trust the siding to hold that much weight.