How to ground an outlet without a grounding wire

I picked up a nifty receptacle/GFCI tester, and was surprised that a number of outlets in the older part of our house (most of the house is a later addition) are not grounded.
Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and the outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line grounding wire to the screw on the outlet.
After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just a black and white.
My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them "no equipment ground".

GFCI would give you pretty good protection.
Also, if/when it is convenient to do so, run a separate ground wire from the nearest grounded outlet (don't use water pipe) to the ungrounded outlets.

Why don't use water pipe? Straight question.
If you had fault currents running through the water pipe, and someone like a plumber, cut the pipe in the process of doing some work, he could get electrocuted. There was a time when connecting a non grounded outlet to a cold water pipe was code, but now only the first five feet of water entrance pipe into a building, would be acceptable
<aspasia> wrote in message wrote:

There are only 2 ways to get a grounded outlet. Replace the wiring with wire that has a black, white, and green or bare wire in it. You can also run a green or bare wire to each outlets grounding screw and then back to the fuse/braker box. With only 2 wires you can not get agrounded outlet.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yes you could.
But it couldn't power anything.....<G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
ctd4x4 wrote:

Hey Spud did a lot of research on this topic did ya? Google don't work for ya? Geez lazy ass...
Well, actually, you can't. Not safely.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

what sort of existing cable is there? if its BX you can ground to the box provided it tests ok...
I am saddended no one mentioned this. its a common fix