How to glue PVC SDR 35 to ABS?

Hello,
I need to know how to glue SDR 35 (the blue water pipes the city uses) to black ABS. Will regular ABS to PVC transition glue work? or do you need a special glue for glue the blue SDR 35 pipe?
Thanks in advance, Mike
Michael wrote:

SDR is sewer pipe. I'll bet the dimensions between the two are sufficiently different that it is not a good fit. Use one of these: http://www.4-fernco.com/
Jim
What colour PVC are you talking about. Blue is for city water. Green is for city sewer. ABS is also for drain, waste and vent lines connected to sewer lines.

Speedy Jim wrote:

I may have been off-base here. Sched 35 is normally for sewer work (Green). Heavier wall pipe is used for municipal water supply.
In any event, check that the ABS you plan to use is specifically marked "for potable water use" and that the fitting dimensions match. Call the utility and ask if solvent welded (glued) joints are permitted between the two materials.
Jim
Some people have asked me what exactly I am trying to do. Here an explanation.
I am joining an ABS adaptor on a Backwater valve that allows you to use 8" SDR 35 pipe instead of the standard 16" access sleeve that comes with the 4" Back water valve. The back water valve I have is made by Canplas. The access sleeve that comes with the valve is only 16 " in length. Canplas makes an adaptor that will allow you to use 8" SRD 35 PVC pipe instead and then cut it to the length you need. The adaptor also comes with a lid that fits the 8" SDR 35 pipe. If some one is looking for the part from Canplas it is a 23304 -4" ABS Sleeve Kit. This is the work around if your sewer line is lower than 16 inches . Mine is about 19". Hope this explains what I am doing.
Thanks for the advice, Mike

Michael wrote:

Check the fit of the pieces to be joined. If it's a reasonably tight fit, go ahead and use the multi-purpose solvent/glue. If not a good fit, go to the Fernco site I posted and select a coupling. Using a Fernco coupling has another advantage if you are cutting the backwater valve into an existing line in that you can just drop the valve in place and then slide the couplings over the joint.
Jim