how to glue a vinyl lamination to particle board

I have a particle board shelf where the vinyl lamination has partially come off on the front of it (1/2" height strip that runs for the 24" length of the shelf) I'm trying to fix it, but I am unsure of what type of glue was originally used.
The existing glue dried white, if that is any help :(
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spot repair the vinyl lamination that is lifting? The lamination came off the glue because we were pulling a cardboard box from the shelf and it was catching the edge of the vinyl, and eventually peeled off a 12" section. There is no glue on the vinyl, it is all still on the particle board.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Not sure what you mean by a "vinyl" finish but if the board is the type of prefinished rascals you can buy a hardware stores then there's a few things you can try:
Contact cement......potentially messy, extra $$ outlay.
Low - medium heated iron (type for ironing clothes)......keep iron moving along the loose bit length to gradually heat up all unstuck areas.
If that doesn't fix the problem, go to the local hardware store to purchase a roll of melamine iron on repair tape. Remove old edging and as much old glue as you can. Happy ironing........ :-)
On 7 Oct 2006 11:36:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.mpsupplies.com/3madhesivechart.html
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

buy a section of stock shelving. Contact cement should work if the particle board isn't crumbling.
On 7 Oct 2006 11:36:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Just about any laminate will stick best with 'contact cement'.
You can buy it in a small 3 oz tube next to the 5 minutes epoxy.
Follow instructions. ie let it partially dry before you touch the surfaces together.