How to get sunlight underneath my deck

Hi Folks,

I have a deck that blocks light getting in through the windows to the rooms below. The deck is PT 2x6 with no spacing between. I want to remove and replace with 2x6 cedar on 1/2" spacing. Also, where the deck meets the house, I want to use 2x2 with

1 inch spacing allowing lots of light to pass through (for about a foot). Is this ok to do? I'm not able to find anyone who sells 2x2 in the wood I want, and I don't want to rip with a skilsaw. I am thinking of using 1x2 untreated pine on edge, temporarily. I know this will probably rot and/or warp in a couple years. By then I may have decided to replace the entire deck anyhow. Final question, I'd really like to allow light but block rain and snow so I can use the area below the deck for storage. Any suggestions on materials/methods to do this? Thanks,

-- Jim

Reply to
Jeff

That's too much spacing, unless you're absolutely sure a lady in spiked high heels will never set foot on your deck. One quarter inch spacing is about right. You can rent a table saw for a day to rip the pieces. To build something that lasts a couple years is a waste of time. You can cover what you want to store with a tarp, or use plastic storage bins. Storing objects under a deck invites critters. Make sure you get plenty of air circulation and quick drainage under the deck.

Reply to
Phisherman

I know this may not be helpful, but it sounds like the deck is in the wrong place. The amount of light you gain with 1/2 inch spacing, even with 2" boards, may be minimal. I wonder, also, if there is some kind of heavy plastic or frosted glass panel you could install as a skylight in the deck. Perhaps someone in this newsgroup knows..... Also, the existing 2x6's should not be abutted - I use 1/4 to 3/8 spacing to allow air to circulate, and rain to drain. Otherwise the deck life may be compromised.

Reply to
Roger

How about glass blocks installed flush with the deck in just 2-3 spots? Done correctly, they'd certainly support the weight. They'd look cool, too. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have 1/2 " spacing I dont like it, Chairs dont always sit right, Get a metal chair or table you will have trouble. drop a Knife fork , lighter , its gone. You can also catch your toes, and shoes. 1 ' forget it.

Reply to
m Ransley

You have a real botch job on your hands. Whoever planned and built the mess ought to sued for malpractice at the minimum. Live with it for the time being, and put some money aside so you can use the services of a competent architect. His fee might seem high initially, but averaged over the life span of a well designed and built home addition (like a decent deck that doesn't create more problems), you will realize some genuine savings and enhance the value of your palace. HTH

Joe

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I saw this done on one of those home improvement shows. It was an interior application, but they put what amounted to a block glass window into the floor in the landing of a stairway so light from the window over the landing would enter the small hallway beneth. Looked good, and supposedly would take the wear of the traffic on the stairs (no way to walk around it when you went up the stairs). Call a glass block company and see what they can come up with.

Reply to
mwlogs