How to get rid of paint drips

I just repainted a door today and when looking at it tonight I discovered a drip in the paint (latex enamel). I'm guessing I cannot sand the drip until the paint has fully cured (~30 days). Is there some way I can get rid of the drip now before I do the second coat of paint?
Thanks,
Jean
Jean wrote:

Use a razor blade to shave it off. A single edge razor blade, not the blade that's used in a razor/utility knife.
scribbled this interesting note:

You have to do it this way because you can't effectively sand latex paint...
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
John Willis wrote:

Thank you ...with the help of this newsgroup, I'll make it through this project yet!
Jean
And ... especially if runs/sags/whatever will be visible, take the door off the hinges, lay it flat on horses, and then paint it.
Another trick is to drive big nails a small distance into the top and bottom faces of a dismounted door, about as far apart as possible. Then incline the door as much as possible with whatever else is available to you. You can then handle the door by the nails, and get the second side with min delay.
HTH, J
RicodJour wrote:

There's a better way, however, than using the leading edge of the blade. I learned this through fixing paint runs in automotive painting:
Take a single edge blade, and some 1000 grid wet/dry sandpaper. Hole the blade at a 30 degree or so angle to the paper, and swipe it across a few times.
What happens is that a burr will develop on the edge on the opposite side that is touching the paper. Now, take the blade, with the burr against the paint run, and swipe down, in the OPPOSITE direction of the sharp edge, so you're pulling towards you. What happens is that the burr will shave a very slight amount of paint off with each swipe, instead of cutting the run.
If the burr loses it's edge, just swipe it against the sandpaper a few more times. Eventually you'll get the run to just disappear into the background.
Note that however you do it, the paint MUST cure first, otherwise you'll just have a big goopy mess.

a woodworking scraper is the same thing, but will last for a lot longer.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Yeah, but you have much more control over a 1.5" razor than a scraper.
clipped

Right on! Wait until it cures, then forget the blades, burrs and sandpaper. Shave off the drip and touch it up with thinned paint. I keep a small foam brush handy, moistened with the appropriate solvent, to catch drips when I spray paint. So much easier.
Larry Bud wrote:

That's a good trick. I use wood scrapers on woodwork, and in paint prep, but I've never tried the burred razor blade. Should work great on paint runs. Thanks.
Jean wrote:

On your next coat, remember the first rule of painting:
Err on the side of applying many thin coats rather than applying a few thick coats.