How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?

I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no real width to it just basically a big one foot diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

Reply to
Joe

Do you own a chain saw? If not, I'd compare the cost of having a pro do the job vs the price of the chain saw. Might be cheaper than you think.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Use a shotgun (or something bigger if you're a good shot) and blow away the branches supporting the tree.

:)

Well, it COULD work!

Reply to
Noozer

It might only be 1' diameter, but it is still extremely heavy and dangerous. It is probably best left to someone with experience and insurance.

Reply to
Toller

This can be a dangerous situation. Carefully think how the tree is going to fall and how you are going to cut it. You may be better off getting someone who is experienced in cutting trees. Recently I cut down a tree and it did not fall where I thought it would--thankfully, it did not do any damage to the garage. You could try throwing a rope around the upper part and pulling it up off the branches. A few strong men helps a lot, but I'd be concerned about anyone getting hurt.

Reply to
Phisherman

Is this all on your property, that the tree branches holding up the fallen tree belong to you, and that the tree will fall onto the ground and not onto any other structures? If yes: cut the branches of the tree which are holding up the fallen tree. Of course, I ain't going to climb my fat ass into a tree to do it myself, since I don't have a harness, climbing spikes or the practice swingin' a chain saw whilst danglin' and clinging to the trunk of a tree. I'm going to call a tree cutting outfit.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Assuming you have adequate clearance to all things that should not have a tree on top of them, the safest thing to do is to attach a chain to the base of the fallen tree, just up a foot or two so it will stay secure, and attach the other end to the front tow hook of a pickup.

Back slowly away from the tree, in line with it, dragging the base back until it clears the tree it's resting against and falls down. If when you start pulling, it shows any sign of pivoting on the base and tilting back, stop immediately lest you flip it over on top of your truck.

If the tree's current lean angle is fairly far over there shouldn't be too much risk of tipping it back up, and of course, the longer chain you have the better. You can use a winch instead of a chain, but be sure to put a mat, sand bag or other item on the cable to limit it's kickback if it breaks or comes loose. Chains are a bit safer in that regard.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:15:40 -0000, Joe wrote Re How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?:

This is a difficult situation. Here are some options to think about:

1) tie a cable to the bottom of the tree and winch/pull it so it falls 2) cut the tree that is holding up the broken tree and let them both fall 3) leave them alone to fall of their own accord if they will not hurt anything 4) call a pro

Both 1) and 2) can be dangerous if you don't have experience doing them. Number 4) can be expensive.

I've opted for 3) with a 2-foot diameter cedar tree that fell against and is being held up by an oak tree. I've been waiting for nine years but it still hasn't fallen. I'll miss it when it does.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

#3 is perhaps the most risky, having a known unpredictable hazard on your property that will fall on that trespassing kid when it goes...

Reply to
Pete C.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:12:04 GMT, "Pete C." wrote Re Re: How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?:

Did you notice the "if they will not hurt anything" part of #3? Would a kid be an "anything"?

In my case, my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. YMMV moron.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

In case you can't get a pick up into the area, you don't neeed a pickup to do this. Lotta' chain and a come along anchored far from the broken tree will accomplish the same thing,

*IF* you have a safe area > Phisherman wrote:
Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Careful, there might be a good deal of stresses stored on those trees. I saw a logger fell two huge trees at the same time. Incredible, it fell and landed at the same time and perfectly parallel to each other. He said he wasn't showing off, just didn't want one tree hung up on another like in your case.

Reply to
** Frank **

I've had this happen a couple of times. The come along works fine. Just keep a close eye on it that it doesn't snap. One tree the base was digging into the ground so I had to use a large branch and a block to prey it up to keep it from digging in.

Good luck and be careful,

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

So you have the area fenced in and guarded? Never had kids trespassing - ever? It only has to happen once. 1/4 mile (1,320') is not that much. I have some 65 heavily wooded acres and trespassers are quite common, particularly kids on ATVs and hunters.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not really much stress stored in the trees, rather potential energy from the suspended mass and gravity. Stored energy / stress would be bending a sapling over to power a snare. Either way, a couple hundred pounds of tree won't be good for whatever it lands on.

Reply to
Pete C.

It sounds like it is out in the 'boonies'. The best option for DIY is to pull it down (by the base!!). There is a method of cutting soem of it to reduce the weight and angle (I have done it several times) but I don't advise someone not experienced to use it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hi,

I think this is a proffessional job. See this web site about logging and safety.

a good manual about all the hazzards here
On the hazards page:

It descibes what you have is a "Lodged Tree". The warning reads:

"Do not work in the presence of lodged trees. Have these death traps pushed or pulled down by a machine."

So the standard method in the industry is to use a Backhoe type catapilar machine to haul it out the way. I had one of these on my property and called in the professionals.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:23:40 GMT, "Pete C." wrote Re Re: How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?:

Good for you.

Spend your time 1/4 mile from your house getting naturally fallen trees down on the ground so trespassers will be safe from "acts of god". You're very thoughtful and considerate. I wish I was that considerate.

While you are at it, you might put up warning and direction signs for the trespassing kids, ATV riders and hunters. It's great living in a rural area isn't it?

Since you like to put in the last word, please put it right below this line.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

The only safe way to do it DIY is to hook on to the butt end of the leaning tree with a long cable or chain and pull it from a safe distance---either with a pickup or a comealong (assuming you don't have a winch in your storage shed). Hook on as close to the ground as you can--you don't want the tree coming back from the direction it fell. Having worked as a logger, I'd say this is no situation for an amateur to deal with with a chainsaw.

Reply to
marson

This is a very dangerous situation. Even I would probably call a pro for this. (that's saying a lot, I seldom call a pro for anything)

You might can pull the tree out of the other one with a chain or cable.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob