How to get rid of a cinder block wall????

Page 1 of 2
How would you demo a small cinderblock wall? It's about 20 cinderblocks long, not attached to anything except to a section of wall I want - but there's a crack between the section I want to take out and the section I want, so that may be fine. It's about 3 cinderblocks high, the bottom cinderblock was apparently halfway buried in the ground as a footer. It's mortared. I don't know if it has any metal reinforcement, it probably doesn't need any.
Laura
back into it with a car

Preferably someone else's car.
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:37:08 -0400, Lacustral wrote:

Sledgehammer, masonry chisel, spud bar, brute strength.

Saftey glasses, and gloves to protect the manicure.
-- Oren
Primacord!
SD
The car idea was good. But the male way would be a sledge hammer.

On Sep 23, 3:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@adore.lightlink.com (Lacustral) wrote:

The simple way. Just start picking blocks off of it. A couple bumps with the end of a 2x4 or 2x6 will usually loosen the mortar. Now if the cores were poured you might have to do some beating on it with a sledge hammer. Mortar is more of an 'evener' than a 'glue',
Harry K
On Sep 23, 5:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@adore.lightlink.com (Lacustral) wrote:

Three Mexicans from you local Home Depot and it will be down and in your dumpster in an hour.

If cinder blocks reasonably clean keep them or give them to someone who can use them. We always have a few lying around here. Very useful as extra blocks under if/when working on a car etc. In some areas just stack em outside near the sidewalk and they'll be gone in the morning! In windy condtions a cinder block or two hung on ropes can hold down a tarpaulin over a roof etc. Keep a few anyway.

Real cinder blocks do not make good makeshift jackstands, countless redneck jokes notwithstanding. It's rare, but possible that they may crumble under the concentrated weight of a car frame sitting on them, which would be bad if you happened to be underneath the car at the time and still inconvenient even if you weren't.
nate
N8N wrote:

I suppose it could happen, but I've seen cars on cinder blocks, in someone's front yard, for DECADES and the blocks haven't crumbled yet.

Probably will sit many more decades. OTOH, a block that was sledged out of a wall may not be quite as strong or can have stress cracks in it. I'd not trust my life to it.
wrote in message

preferred to use timbers, if I had them on hand. Even with a solid block, I'd use a piece of 2x above it to reduce the chance of a metal edge splitting the block. And I'd never crawl completely under a car held up like that, just use it to hold up a corner where I had a wheel off or something.
aem sends...

I wouldn't use anything but solid blocks either, all the cautions you all have said, no matter how many cars have sat on open ones.
I had a pair of steel jackstands, the kind about 15 inches high with three angle iron legs leading up to an adjustable pipe in the middle, rated by the manufacturer at far more than the load that was on the one I was using.
It only had the plymouth version of a Chrysler LeBaron, a K-car, and lt crumbled. Worse yet, it happened when I was in the house and I had left an 18 year-old boy with the car. Fortunately he wasn't under the car. And it didn't bend all the way down, and he was pretty thin, so he might have made it.

I was going to use a pair of jackstands, until I saw "Made in China" on them. Shoot, if their ethics allow lead paint, why would I trust their welders?

Depends on the circumstances.
Up here, a cinder block that hasn't been "filled" with concrete partially embedded in moist dirt won't last through more than one or two freeze-thaw cycles. Of the 9 cinderblocks under the 14'x14' shed we renovated (including raising the whole thing 8" to put another support beam under it), 4 of the 9 cinder blocks had disintegrated.
Secondly, I watched an electrician "drill" a 2" conduit hole through a new cinder block wall with only a 2lb hand sledge ...
Surprisingly neat hole too.
Cinder blocks aren't very durable. They shatter easy. Not a good thing to stick under a car, unless you're not terribly concerned it might fall down.
--
Chris Lewis,

Some folks have mistakenly/wrongly placed or stacked blocks on their side. They should collapse; almost immediately with a car lowered to the block.
Front yard cars for decades are called "yard ornaments" :)
-- Oren
Some items to try:
Car bumper sledge hammer jack hammer large chisels and points concrete saw pry bar shovel pick stout chain and 4wd truck hand grinder to cut rebar
Depending on how it was put in, removal will require some combination of the above items.
Might be a piece of cake; might be a real MOFO.
Steve
I haven't seem a real cider block in 50 years in my region. Do they still make the things?