How to get metal marks off of ceramic tile.

I've got white ceramic tile in my kitchen, and recently some relatives with young children came to stay for a short visit. I tried to "child proof" and put any potential dangers out of reach, but being a non-parent and not good around kids I didn't foresee all risks. The kids (age six and eight) found my snow cleats (pointed steel cleats I strap on my shoes for working in snow and ice) and decided that ceramic tile made a fun substitute for ice. Result? a few chipped tiles and a whole bunch of long shiney metal marks all over the tiles.
Replacing them was not an option; they match other tiled areas throughout the house (bathrooms, utility room, laundry room) and I can't find replacements (they are no longer made). The chips aren't bad (I found the pieces and superglued them back) but the metal marks were unsightly and wouldn't come off with normal cleaners or lime-away, or even muriatic acid. I even tried pencil erasers, no luck, and google searches turned up nothing that worked.
But, I recently tried a product for removing toilet bowl rings, a type of abrasive cloth called "miracle cloth". It worked great, and on a whim I tried it on the metal marks. It took one heck of a lot of elbow grease, and resulted in a slight dimming of the glaze, but it worked. So, I thought I'd post this here for anyone else who has this problem.
It also worked well for removing silicone "aquarium" sealant that those kids also tracked over my tile and I didn't discover until it had set. A razor blade left a bit behind, but the cloth plus elbow grease cleaned it off. Now, if only I could figure out how to get that stuff out of carpet...
Chris.
I used Mothers chrome polish (pep boys) for a similar situation, it works but takes a bit of work.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 03:25:08 -0800, "Martin Hirsch"

The problem was that the metal marks penetrated the glaze in places. The kids didn't just walk on the tile with them, they were taking running starts and "skating" across the tile with the steel cleats, including some jumping.
For the future, I'm definitely concentrating on prevention. The first part of which is denying any further visits by those kids and their parents until the parents (the father is my cousin) cough up the $$ for the damage the kids did.
Chris J... wrote:

Are you sure the cleats were steel? Could they be aluminum? I'd be inclined to try a cleaner specific for the type of metal. Leave the muriatic acid alone :o) Lots of glazes have metal in them, so mebbe the metal bonded with that. Try toothpaste? Straight Dawn dish detergent and a 3M scrubber? They used to use 3M for polishing stainless, so it may take off the metal residue. Pumice or rouge? What was yer cousin doing while his kids trashed your house?
We removed metal marks off our walls really easily with the Mr. Clean magic eraser. I was really surprised how well it worked.
Chris J... wrote:

Chris J... writes:

Oxalic acid, an ingredient in: Barkeeper's Friend scouring powder, and Rust-Aid rust remover. This will dissolve iron out of ceramics.