How to get firewood into a basement?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, I have regular basement windows about 6 inches off the outside ground level. I want to build a shute or slide of some kind so I can wheel-barrow a load of wood up to the window and then slide the wood down, while someone in the basement grabs and stacks them. I may be burning 6-8 cords of wood a winter, for some scale.
Anyone got tips or recommendations?
Thanks!
Dean
how bout a 16" wide board with sides put on it to make like an old coal shute.lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:
Dean,
Doesn't your basement have an exterior door? It's easy to put a sheet of plywood on the stairs to protect them. Basement windows will probably be a "bottleneck" unless they are really big. Why do you want to store your wood in the basement if the furnace is upstairs? Wood is a real source of bugs so if you do store the wood indoors keep an eye out for damage.
Dave M.
The furnace is going in the basement. I have a fireplace upstairs but I'm not talking about that one now.
The wood idea sounds like a possibility. I could probable put it on wheels and move it to the window as necessary. Hmmm....
Thanks!
Dean

You hopefully have a cheap supply of wood that can save you money. I hope that's the reason for burning wood. Otherwise you are insane with going through the bother of tending a stove and putting up with the introduction of bugs into your house.
If you still want to burn don't use the door. Opening the door for periodic loads of wood lets much of the heat cost savings fly out the door. Burning cold wood is not efficient either. Your best bet is to introduce and store a large load of wood in the house on a warm day through a small opening. That way you won't lose much heat during the process.

At the price of utilites, wood can save a bundle of money. there are ways to eliminate the bugs too, but you have to do that ahead of time.

You mean opening hte door for 30 seconds is going to lose more heat than can be brought in in that time? I use a wheelbarrowa nd can bring in a load on the coldest of days and not lose all that much heat compard to what I'm bringing in, maybe 48+ hours of heating.

This I agree with. Few days to a week is best as it will dry more in the house too.

The BTU's lost during that 30 seconds is more than the stove puts out in the same 30 seconds.

It's obvious that any time a door is opened multiple times on a cold day a lot of heat is wasted.
The most effective way to bring wood into a house is to load up on it during a warmer day.

Who cares? Sometimes a bit of fresh air is welcome, even on a cold day.
--
Life. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh. -- Dr. Who

So what? If you bring in enough wood to fire the stove for many hours, you are ahead of the game. If you want to be that picky, bring in the wood on the same trip as when you go out for the mail. I don' tknow about you, but we go in and out of the house many times in a day, even in winter. Sometimes you just have to open the door.

Sure, but that is not always practical when you have 30 straight days of below freezing.

You lose considerably less heat bringing wood into the house on a calm 31 degree day than you would on a windy 5 degree day. Both days are below freezing.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I agree, this thread is a little surreal. Do the the kids, the dog, the cat, and guests get locked in every time the temp drops to 32 or 0 or -20? I suppose some people stay home from work too, just so the door doesn't get opened? Crazy.
Two armloads of wood should be sufficient per day unless it is well below 0 or somebody is heating their house to 80 degrees or they are heating way more than 2000 square feet.
I don't agree that the temperature of the wood makes much difference. An armload of wood near a wood stove will be up to room temperature in 5-10 minutes and a log thrown in a stove will go from -20 degrees to 70 degrees before you can recite the pledge of allegiance. In fact some of the bark or the stringy parts will have already caught fire in that time period. It is a non-issue. What is an issue is having a bunch of wood piled around your living room.
It sounds to me like a lot of people are giving advice that have never heated with a wood stove. The biggest issue will be what does the wife want or more exactly what does she NOT want.

Your argument is what is surreal. You have a choice of when to bring the wood in, and it does make a difference.

32,000 BTU's per hour are available with two armloads each consisting of a 18" square of typical split hardwood.

At what cost? A cold piece of anything absorbs heat in order to get to room temperature. Do this wood warming on a warm day if possible. A cold load of wood stuns the stove and creates less heat and more tending.

Stored wood can be a problem.

I've burned wood enough to realize that unless you have a cheap supply it isn't worth the effort.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I'm in and out of the house several times a day, take a walk around outside for exercise, maybe walk to a grocery store and carry the stuff back. Drive the car out of the garage to go shopping, that' about 2 tons of metal. The stuff gets cold, I get cold, all get heated up by the energy in my house, whether it is in the living room or the garage.
Warming firewood is trivial compared to all the rest. I waste more energy and cost by running a small rock tumbler.
dean wrote:

You are such an obvious troll! You wouldn't need so much wood to burn if you didn't have such a big house to stack the wood in. Do you have a clue how much room 8 cords takes up.
George I'm not saying I will stack 8 cords in my basement at the same time! I'm saying I might have to load a cord 8 times into the basement, every few weeks. I am not a troll! And anyway, what's your contribution to this thread?
Thanks everyone else. I'm really not worried about opening doors, the air that escapes does not hold much heat, its a gas after all. Anyway, I'm going in through the basement window!
Thanks for all the tips,
Dean
dean wrote:

You are the dopey one. How can you burn 8 cords every few weeks? That's enough to heat a good sized house in an northern climate for a whole winter. Gees, get real. 3 cords would usually do me even when it got to -20. North and at higher elevation they use more, but not even 8 cords.

Pot Kettle Black. The rest of us understood what he meant- 8 cords for all winter, bringing in 1 cord at a time, 1 cord every few weeks.
aem sends...
ameijers wrote:

Read it again. Not what he wrote. He said, "I'm saying I might have to load a cord 8 times into the basement, every few weeks."
I'm not a mind reader just read what he said. May not be what he meant, but that is up to him, not me to determine.

Um.. He said he may have to load a cord. "a cord" is singular. "Every few weeks" is plural. "Eight times" is plural. He stated his intention accurately.
It is up to you to improve your reading comprehension.