How to get an oval shaped copper pipe round again to install compression fitting

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on 3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one. The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass enough water to prevent us using soldering.
Is there a way to get the pipe round again?
Best regards, NeilSanner
neilsanner wrote:

If you can get the oval tubing into the compression fitting socket, then the compression fitting will fix the ovality issue. If you cannot get the tubing in, then try this; Take a crescent wrench, not vise grips or pliers or channel locks, and place it on the pipe where it is round. Tighten the crescent until it is snug against the pipe. Now remove it and move it to the end where your compression socket will be and place it on the narrow part of the oval. Rotate it until it is over the wide part of the oval and try to insert the tubing into the socket. This has worked for me many times in the past.
In addition, if your shutoff valve will not stop the flow enough to allow soldering, why don't you shut off the city valve and then solder on your new valve?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

And use a new quarter turn ball valve.
Joe
Thanks for the nice trick Robert!
I think this is the city valve... Well at least it's the first valve I see that brings cold water into the house. Is there usually supposed to be a "city valve" outside the house?
Best regards, NeilSanner

yeah theres another outside valve, theres always one there.
thats whats used to turn you off if you dont pay your water bill
neilsanner wrote:

If it was the city valve, then you could call the city and they would replace it. They don't like you working on their stuff. But since it is in your home, it is not the city valve.
The city valve is going to be out by the street and would be in a metal or plastic box with a cover. The valve will be right by the water meter. Turn it off, or have the city come out and turn it off, but then you will have to call them to have it turned back on. I always just turn it off myself.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

if you have the replacement valve, and everything needed for new valve they will likely wait and might help a little just to save a trip

generally such visits are free, but you can call and ask them first
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:27:18 GMT, Robert Allison

Doesn't it require a 5-sided socket, or something else most people don't have? How do you do it?

many people have those tools, they are pretty common but vary regionally. a plumber told me in the pittsburgh area there are about 5 models.

This is one of those jobs that can get you in trouble, especially on the weekend.
First, I'd not want a compression fitting on my main valve. It may work, it may not. You already know that a slightly misshapen tube will no solder correctly. What is the backup plan if you have a problem? Calling the town to shut of water at the street is not easily done on a weekend, same with finding a plumber.
Unless you are 100% sure you have a solution, consider paying a plumber. At least know of one that you can get on short notice. Putting in a valve "should" be a simple job but . . . . . . .
Neil,
Go to a plumbing supply store. They sell a simple tool to make the pipe round again. I have both the 3/4" tool and a 1" tool and they are a lifesaver.
cm

Thanks for the tip CM!
Do you know what is the exact name of that tool so we could do an image search on the internet?
Best regards, Neilsanner
call he water company they will be very helpful.
often plumbers have the outside valve tool. for such occasions.
I have no idea what it is called or even the brand. I see no markings on mine. It does come in two pieces. One that can fits over the pipe or one that fits inside the pipe. I have only ever used the part that fits inside the pipe. I tap it in with a hammer and pull it out with channel locks.
cm

CM wrote:

Called a "swedge" or sizing tool:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yqq4b3
Jim

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:50:14 -0800 (PST), neilsanner

Why?
Over??
Can't you rebuild the current valve? Turn off the water at the street, and change the washer and/or the stem and whatever else needs changing on the current valve

with such a important valve a new 1/4 turn ball valve is likely a good idea.
have a friend who had a similiar problem and didnt want to call the water company.
he had a novel fix, turned off water as best as possible disconnected water line at meter exit, he put garden hose on meter and watered his yard while he installed a second valve a couple feet from the meter.
then he reattached the meter line.
it worked fine, although it wouldnt help a meter leak, he feels thats unlikely

Thanks Haller!
Above the main valve there's a faucet with a threaded mouth. It seems that a garden hose could be attached to that faucet. Maybe I could do so and install the new ball valve after that faucet. It would also allow for soldering since the little water would be drained that way.
Best regards, NeilSanner