How to get a zipper back on track (must slip 3 "notches")?

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so "notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

(Wife says "get a new winter jacket" -- but I *like* this one, and besides Costco hasn't sold anything as good as it for several years now. It's the best I've ever had -- best made, etc.)

Ideas?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

I had the same problem with my trusty winter jacket. Last year it started half way through the winter and jusk kept getting worse.

After taking it off over my head I could usually wrestle it open - so I took it to the local talor to see what it would cost for a new Zipper. He said $49, "but you don't need a zipper" He said the sliders - or the parts that run up and down and work the zipper together and back apart were worn out - and a pair, installed, would set me back $21.

I left him the jacket and picked it up next day - just like new.

Reply to
clare

Force it unzipped with a pair of pliers, and start over? (after tightening the slider thingy ever-so-gently with the same pliers, and lubing the zipper teeth all the way up with a candle stub?)

BTDT, and I feel your pain. Realistically, your wife is right- the cost-effective cure is replacement. I have had zippers replaced, but it is absurdly expensive, so unless the coat has sentimental value or is a specialty item, it really doesn't make sense. And unless you have an industrial sewing machine at home, it isn't a DIY project unless you are willing to spend hours hand-sewing with a sailmaker needle. I had my last one done at a luggage repair shop, and I had to bring in the zipper. They do sell zipper repair kits, but finding one with a slider big enough for a coat is hard, and the imported coats tend to use weird non-standard zippers.

Side rant- zippers without contrasting colors on the little tab at the start, and fabric flaps the same color as the zipper, too close to the moving parts. I'm well into middle age, with eyesight to match. It makes me feel like a 5 year old again, fighting with a zipper to get it started, only to have the fabric edge get caught 3 inches later and jamming the thing.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Zippers wear out, sometimes before the coat does.

You can buy a new zipper, and sew it onto the coat.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

If you do that, make sure you purchase a man's zipper, not a woman's one.

I bought what was clearly described as a man's jacket online from Kohl's last year and what came had a woman''s zipper on it.

It was so frustrating to have to fumble with the zipper whenever I decided to wear that jacket that I returned it and got my money back.

Old habits are hard to break....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You should be able to walk it down by wiggling it back and forth. Very tedious and time consuming, but you can do it. You push down on one side while pulling up on the other and wiggling. (not you but the zipper )

Reply to
JC

Well, no one else seems to know how to deal with this...

Zippers do that when the zipper body opens up a bit. If the zipper body firmly encloses the teeth, it won't go off track.

First pry open the zipper body a bit with a screw driver to get the zipper back on the teeth the right way.

Then use pliers to close the body back up so it grips the teeth as it should.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Add another vote for a new zipper. Once they've tasted freedom, they can't ever be trusted. At least here (Syracuse NY), it's surprisingly inexpensive to get a new one put in - to the point where it made sense for a (good) sweatshirt.

George