How to fix this drywall gouge

I don't know how to fix this. Should I sand it down, rip it out and replace the section, what would work best here. I don't want to start poking around for fear of tearing it even more - or is it one of those "you're hosed cut it out and replace."
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P8260021.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P8260022.JPG
Eigenvector wrote:

Gosh, it looks more like some failed wallpaper. Is it on the ceiling or wall? If is was me I would get after is with a scraper until all loose material is removed. Then you will be in a better position to evaluate your options.
I have dealt with what I believe is a similare problem and was able to prevent further failures by covering the repair with oil based primers and enamels. I have had far fewer failures after using oil base products. I also used a high gloss paint but it's not for everyone. It is however super durable and unlikely to fail.
Lawrence

Nope, it's drywall behind there. Looks like I'll have to replace it, I think the previous owner just shoved some drywall remnant in a giant hole and painted over it big time.
Eigenvector wrote:

There's something weird going on there. What's on the other side of the wall? Is the wall an exterior or bearing wall?

It looks like the paper was torn off and restuck...
Take a scraper and lift out the loose stuff.
At best, you just need a skim coat over the exposed gypsum.
At worst you'll have a hole that should be fairly simple to patch.
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:34:43 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Hard to tell the size of this gouge. Anyway, remove all the loose material. If the area is large, more than 10x10", then replace the section with a new drywall section (you may need to install wood pieces and use drywall screws for support.) Use drywall compound and several putty knives. The beginning coat will use the smallest knife, then allow to dry, sand smooth, then repeat using the next larger knife. A work light held against the wall with your head against the wall will reveal bumps. Lay down and tape paper against the baseboard to catch the dust (do not use a vacuum). Prime and paint.
Phisherman wrote:

Sanding? Screw that. Look up the drywall wet sponge method. Really.
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:34:43 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I'd cut out a rectangular section bigger than the patch and start over.

I knew you were gonna say that. Nice thing is that the gouge just happens to be right next to a seam so at least I can repair it a little more invisibly.
Eigenvector wrote:

Most architechts would have a one-word suggestion: ivy.

Or Picture or entertainment center,etc.

Could you give us a clue? Like a picture with a ruler in it, or some indication of the size?
It sure would help.
Steve

Yeah I can do that, I just didn't have the space or items on hand to do that. There's a 400 lb filing cabinet in front of it and I just couldn't get my body in a position to take a good shot of it.
I'm painting that room, so I do need to fix the hole, otherwise that filing cabinet would stay right where it was.
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P8270024.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P8270026.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/various/websize/P8270027.JPG
I did rip off the paper to see what was behind it, as you can see in the last shot the drywall isn't even of good quality.