How To Fix/Repair Rock Salt Burned Yellow Lawn!?

Page 2 of 2

On Jun 1, 1:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

They're busted. No blood in those stones.

No, you need to flush out the salt. It may take a few years, unfortunately. My might contact your state/local extension services department and ask them.
MICHELLE H. wrote:

The poor dude is 85. He may not ever SEE any slow repairs. Does he have household insurance? Proper permanent fix is to cut the sod out of the damaged areas (plus a little more), replace a couple inches of soil underneath, and insert fresh sod. I'd call the company that laid the sod and explain situation to them. They may be willing to cut a break on the price, especially if some kind soul like you does the manual labor of removing the damaged sod, and all they have to do is roll out the new stuff and trim it. How many square feet are we talking about?
--
aem sends...

== I concur...the salty soil must go. ==
The guys front yard is not very big. Its only about 40 feet long and about 15-20 feet wide.
The spots that are all Yellow are about 12 feet long and about 3 feet wide.
In a way, I guess he's very lucky that he has a 6 foot high stockade fence on the side of his house where his former "foreclosed" neighbors driveway is, or his lawn would probably be Yellow patches all the way down his property line, if his neighbors would have been able to throw the rock salt there to.
MICHELLE H. wrote:

It's been a few years (like 30) since I had the fun of unrolling sod, but IIRC 12x3 adds up to about 6 or 8 'jelly rolls' of sod. That is a layer or two off a single skid, unless they pack it differently these days. That would be a 15 minute job to unroll and lay out, if the site was prepped and waiting. I think the odds are good the sod company would be willing to add that on to the next job they have in the area, and drop it off on the way back to the farm. They wouldn't want to send a big truck out for such a small order, but if you know somebody with a pickup truck, it would easily fit in one load.
--
aem sends...

MICHELLE H. wrote:

If they tossed it on his property they are responsible for fixing the damage they caused. Tell them so. Or have a lawyer tell them.
Even if they threw it at the edge of *their* property they are probably responsible since one cannot create a situation where runoff goes on to neighboring properties.
--

dadiOH
MICHELLE H. wrote:

Well if you don't get any help here, you could always take it on Oprah, especially if the geezer is in a wheelchair...
MICHELLE H. wrote:

It's not easy and surely no quick way to get the salt out of the lawn. His best bet is to dig out all the dead areas, fill it with topsoil and reseed. No shortcuts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth