How to fix New Vinyl dougle-hung windows?

Hi,

My landlord replaced our old leaky windows with new vinyl double-hung windows. Now a few years later, a few of the windows no long will stay open. I can see a piece of twisted metal that looks as if it has sprung loose at its base.

Is this a difficult fix? I'm pretty handy but I can't quite figure this one out..

any help appreciated.

Reply to
Arco

Find out who made the window, they may be still under warranty. A phone call or an email from their web site might get you the parts you need for free. Take the balance off and replace it with the new one.

But, this is the landlord's responsibility. Make the call.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Greetings Arco,

The cost may NOT be your landlord's responsibility. Look at your lease. If the window is only a few years old it is likely damaged, not worn out. Damages are often the responsibility of the tenant (even if someone else throws a rock through your window.) The landlord gets the money from the tenant. The tenant is then in turn responsible for collecting the money from the responsible party. It all depends on your lease.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Did you try the tilt to clean feature? I have had many call backs because the new owners tilted the sash down to clean and twisted the sash while it was tilted. This pulls the sash pin out of the spring retainer. This only happens on the inexpensive spring balance windows. Easy fix if this is the case. Just reinstall the sash pin into the spring end, by having one side lower than the other.

Reply to
calhoun

These windows have the spiral balance, which are used in cheaper windows, each spiral is adjustable and is a major PITA to adjust correctly. Better windows have a constant force balancing system which never needs adjusted.

The spiral should have a small pin going through it, it forms a "t". Figure out which side of the window has the least amount of resistance, unhook the "t", it should just snap out of place. Turn the spiral clockwise to increase tension, only do one turn at a time and see if the window stays in place. Be aware, you may have to remove the sash in order to adjust the spiral.

Reply to
josh

this link shows how to adjust the tension

david