How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

Page 3 of 3

No one has mentioned chewing gum!!
SHHHHHH bob yer gonna put me out of business...lol Jim
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:03:47 -0600, Jim wrote:

Hi Jim,
I'm gonna take some pics in the daylight and send them off to you (and maybe post them somehow) but that's a GREAT idea to see if I can put a bladder in!
You can see the tanks from Google maps so I'll give you the coordinates but they are too tiny on google to discern much other than they are there.
Jim wrote:

I'd guess maybe that it would cost as much or more for a 5000 gal tank to do that as a new one by time paid rigging costs, etc. Certainly for 10X that but in a residential (apparently?) installation it'll be a major hassle getting it done an all likelihood as compared to the industrial setting where it was "just bidness"...
$0.02, etc., ... altho I suppose in an area that has requirement for residential fire water storage there may be some folks around that specialize so wouldn't be as big a deal as in most areas that don't have such needs/installations at all commonly.
dpb wrote:

If these large tanks are common in the area, there might be some place that specializes in installing a plastic bladder liner in them to extend their useable lifespan.
Pete C. wrote:

I've seen ads on craigslist for huge bladders used for storage of water without a tank. One of these could perhaps be used inside the tank, or in place of it.
<http://www.google.com/search?q=water+storage+bladders&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:02:28 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

That's an interesting idea! I hadn't thought of putting a bladder in. Seems to me that just might work. If they exist.
I'm gonna call some of these suppliers of water tanks tomorrow and ask about bladders.
1. All State Tanks Grove, OK 918-787-2600 www.allstatetank.com Bolted Steel 5,000 to 3 million
2. B & H Tanks Madera, CA 800-464-2951 www.bhtank.com Corrigated/bolted Steel 1,000 to 150,000
3. Columbian TecTank Kansas City, Kansas 913-621-3700 www.columbiantectank.com Bolted/Welded Steel 4,000 to 2.5 million
4. Glazier & Glazier Penngrove, CA 707-792-9292 na Concrete 5,000 to 10,500
5. Norwesco, Inc. St. Bonifacius, Minn. 800-328-3420 www.norwesco.com Poylethylene To 10,500
6. RMI Gardena, CA 310-327-5401 www.rotonics.com Polyethylene To 10,500
7. Snyder Industries Lincoln, Nebraska 402-467-5221 www.snydernet.com Polyethylene To 10,500
8. Xerxes Minneapolis, Minn. 952-887-1890 www.xerxescorp.com Fiberglass 600 to 50,000
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:20:53 -0800, Godspeed wrote:

Check local codes, especially fire protection codes, to see if it's legal to add a bladder which could melt in a fire and which would have to have openings for the valves.

Consider replacing the tank. There is a huge stock of surplus food and chemical processing tankage your can find with internet searches, and Yellow Pages in some areas. With a bit of luck you may wind up with a stainless steel vessel of the right size complete with pipe fittings. Transportation is not a problem as the size you need fits easily on a flat bed trailer or roll-off. If more than one tank from the surplus company is available, consider buying two if the $$ look good, and installing both, keeping the non leaker. When the last steel one fails, you still will have an adequate storage system.
Joe
Can you dry it out, add some Por-15, and shake the tank? Let it dry.
Hint: this is a troll.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wonder if that "rhino liner" stuff is "food grade". It might do wonders sprayed on the inside of the tank.
Bob F wrote:

How do they get the Rhino to hold still?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You don't want to keep him still. It is sprayed on Rhino pee. Getting him to aim is the trick.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I thought the liner was used to make the Rhino's eyes look pretty.
TDD
In typed:

If it's that small a leak, and the surrounding material is in good shape, they make screw-in patches for those. It's like a short lag screw with a rubber washer that you just screw into the hole. Decide the size you need, then get two: one you think you need and the next larger size too, just in case. Works well and will stand up to the pressure. Sounds like it's just a pinhole right now so timing's good.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:37:17 -0500, news.eternal-september.org wrote:

That's yet another potentially viable solution.
So far the solution might be: 0. Empty tank and look for the hole on the bottom 1. If small (pin hole size), use a screw-in patch from the inside; 2. If larger, weld a patch plate from the inside; 3. If too large, consider if they make tank-repair bladders; 4. If not, lift the tank, cut off the bottom, & weld on a new bottom; 5. Or, replace the steel tank with a new "poly" tank.
Godspeed wrote:

I haven't seen any mention of products like JB Weld so far.
If the leakage is from different places at the bottom, then the best way to stop the leakage is either to get fix one steel plate as of the same size at the bottom or change the bottom with new one and this will certainly sol ve your problem. http://www.greatbasinindustrial.com/maintenance-repairs-an d-alterations
No idea on stopping your leak, but I'm curious about your water quality.
Water goes bad when it sits around. It grows bacteria, slime, all sorts of nasty stuff.
In your setup the bottom third of at least one tank never drains. Sounds like a recipe for a fungus amongus.
Do you disinfect anywhere? I wouldn't have any qualms about drinking well water direct from the well, provided there's no local contamination. Water that sits in a storage tank is a different story.