How to finish off this space

Hi,

I left some space under my kitchen sill:

It's the space with the onion.

Now, I'm brainstorming about a way to finish it off. I'd like not to lose the space. Any suggestions?

Perhaps there are hinges that would let a horizontal door drop down. Or some swing out solution?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
PG

First of all, if that is a faux marble sill (or real marble or any other kind of stone) it needs more support or it is very likely to get broken. I would...

  1. Insert a wood support, centered, front to back. A snug fit at top & bottom and secured with a bit of silicone or epoxy against lateral movement would be sufficient.
  2. Wood face frame all around the opening; that will also support the sill. Groove top & bottom rails for 1/4" sliding doors, one on the left, one on the right. The rails - but not necessarily the stiles - would need to be about 1 1/4" thick to accomodate the doors.
Reply to
dadiOH

Personally, I would have just drywalled over it. He already has a space above it to put some stuff on. The little space isn't big enough to be of much use and it would look better without it.

Reply to
nj48forplay

I suggest a trim piece that has hidden spring loaded hinges , make it a hidey-hole . It's long enough for a carbine and a bugout bag ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

what is inside the wall below the onion space? More usable space if opened up?

Reply to
Pico Rico

I'd pack it with crumpled news papers, so the cold doesn't keep falling out. Oh, wrong thread. Sorry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon