How to Finish Edge Where Wonderboard/Tile and Sheetrock Meet

I am redoing a standing stall shower. The walls in the shower are going to be wonderboard, however, I am unclear how to finish the edge where the tile meets the sheetrock of the ceiling outside the shower. I have bull-nose but that will still leave a rough edge on the sheetrock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

The vertical cement board edge should cover the rough horizontal drywall edge; i.e. overlap it. The tile will then butt against the DW. Or leave a bit open and grout.

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm sorry, but I don't understand "the vertical cement board edge should coer the rough horizontal drywall edge". Did you mean to say overlap the horizontal edge of the cementboard over the rough horizontal edge of the sheetrock? There also is a height difference. The top of the tiles comes even with the top of the sheetrock.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

dadiOH wrote:

Reply to
Andy

Do you mean to say that the finish surface of the tile is in the same plane as the finish surface of the sheetrock? That makes the situation a bit more difficult.

Normally, the surface of the backerboard is in plane with the surface of the sheetrock, as both are 1/2" thick and applied to the studs. Then the tile projects out further by its thickness. The transition to the sheetrock is accomplished by having the tile extend over the sheetrock/backerboard joint, with a bull nosed edge to provide a gentle curve.

I don't think you want to use a bull nose in your situation. You could try just running the tile up to the sheetrock, then you'd have a tricky plastering job to make the edge of the sheetrock neat and presentable. Or you could try to use a thicker, decorative tile with a built in rabbet to cover the rough edge of the sheetrock.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Or, butt the tile to the sheetrock. Then put a line of smaller, decorate tile on top of the joint -- sort of like a verticle chair-rail.

Reply to
Pat