How to find out what company made your product

Some time ago a poster asked who made the drywall he's bought. I went onto GS1 and found out who it was. At the time I thought you needed to be logged in to get access to the database, but it turns out that may not be totally true.
Go go GS1, the organization that controls all UPC codes. http://www.gs1.org / Click on the link at bottom left: "Who owns this barcode?"
--
Tegger

Thanks Tegger. Tho I have no need for this info right now, I think this might be useful info in the future so I bookmarked it, just in case. Thanks.

The first postings were back Feb 15, 2012
The code as it appears on the gypsum drywall:
7 72677 00248 8
From memory, manufactured in North Carolina
You had recommended the GS1 website earlier, but the information for manufacturer was circular, back to GS1 The product came up correctly, well in a way.
I still don't know who made this drywall.
On 5/2/2012 9:36 AM, Robert Macy wrote: ...

Well, if in NC odds are it was National Gypsum, then.
<http://www.nationalgypsum.com/about/index.htm
Of course, it well may be actually been manufactured in another of their locations and the barcode simply refers to home office state; that's the call of how the company uses/codes their info afaik.

See my other post. Your drywall was made by CertainTeed Gypsum in Canada. I said this back in February, as well.
--
Tegger

No, in Canada.

It's telling you you need to go to GS1 Canada to get the information you want. And, unfortunately, it appears the Canadian site does not have a public-access search for GLN ownership. I think you'd have to actually email them.

Way back in February I posted who made it. It was made by CertainTeed Gypsum, in Canada. I know this because I have a login on the Canadian GS1 site.
CertainTeed's GLN is 772677.
It looks like the US site's search only works for US-made products.
--
Tegger

Thanks, missed that somehow. Worse it took 1/2 hour to find those old postings! Did you post the contact information, too?
Anyway, the joint compound from Walmart is Proforma, made by National Gypsum and definitely out of North Carolina and definitely the wrong UPC code. something like 0222????

This is part of what I posted on Feb 15th:
"Your sheetrock was marketed by CertainTeed Gypsum Canada, Inc.. They are in a city called Mississauga, which is just west of Toronto, Ontario.
"The phone number listed for CertainTeed is 905-823-9881."
"I cannot tell from the UPC whether or not the board was /made/ in Canada. For that you need to see the information printed on the product itself."

You need the whole GTIN be able to find the GLN within it. Companies have different length GLNs depending on how many SKUs they have.
Translation: "GTIN" is the product UPC number. "GLN" is the part of the UPC that is the company's unique ID number. CertainTeed's GLN is 772677
--
Tegger

Thanks for reposting ...and adding.
wrote:>>

You're welcome.
As an aside, they're building a new subdivision in my town just west of where I live. Guess what brand of drywall the builders are using?
--
Tegger

As usual, harry, you show yourself to be the idiot you are.