How to find local handyman?

I have a few projects in mind for the backyard like a covered sandbox, a small playhouse/clubhouse, and a 3-4 hole miniature golf course.
How would I go about finding a local handyman who would be interested is this type of project?
Is there a handyman association or organization?
I've asked friends and neighbors and got suggestions for contractors and sub-contractors, but not exactly what I'm looking for.
These are low priority projects that can be done in spare time, but require some creative design work.
I am located on the San Francisco peninsula, if that helps.
On 4/8/2011 1:38 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

I've never hired one but I'd ask local tradesmen that I know, e.g. a plumber may know a carpenter, etc.
On 4/8/2011 10:38 AM Jennifer Murphy spake thus:

I'm a handyman in the S.F. Bay Area (East Bay), so I may be able to help you here. (Not saying I'm the one you want to call: the Peninsula is a little outside my territory.)
My clients find me, for the most part, by referral from other clients.
If none of your friends are able to make a recommendation, start looking for other reliable resources. Here in the East Bay there's a group called the Berkeley Parent's Network that maintains a web site on which people post recommendations for various tradespeople, including general handyman types. Since only members can post there, and not the tradespeople themselves, you can pretty much trust them.
Another possibility would be a local neighborhood group, possibly a Yahoo! group or another online community group. Search for a group by your location and see if anything pops up.
There's also Angie's List, though I don't really know anything about it other than it exists and is supposedly an impartial referral service.
The last place I'd look--in fact, I'd *never* look there--is Yelp, as they are a totally crooked operation that uses pay-to-play to promote business rankings.
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:52:30 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Thanks. I've actually had better luck with Yelp than Angie's list, but neither of them are all that reliable.

It depends where you live, and is probably easier in villages rather than big cities. In this village (pop. 600) handymen advertise their services in two places (post office and pizza parlor) and there are four or six larger villages within 10 miles, i.e. probably a dozen places to look.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

i use my local 'pennysaver' newspaper. get them to do a few small jobs first

lucky bastard. love that area....will be there in may....
Drive around to where some houses are being built & see if someone wants some side work. I hauled allot of Amish boys to jobs like that.
Jerry