How to find concealed speaker wire?

Hello, I purchased a new home (that was 95% completed when I bought it) that was prewired for surround sound. I opened the plates where the speakers are supposed to be attached on the walls, and found a (rather low-quality) speaker wire there. There are four such plates. However, the other end of the wire is not visible - no plates, exposed wires, etc where I would expect to plug into my receiver.
The builder and electrician are completely unresponsive, so I can't ask them for information. Is there any way to find out where the other ends terminate?
Thanks for any help!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's unlikely that low voltage lines will be shown on the building plans. You can buy an inexpensive toner/prob and trace the lines out yourself. Attach the tone device to the exposed wires and wave the wand around where you think the lines go. These are available at Harbor Freight or the big box hardware stores.
This is similar to a situation I ran into on my new house. Some time over the last 10 years or so, prewire (alarm, stereo, intercom, etc) has morphed from something you buy, to a marketing device.
The idea is to get you to have to go to a specific subcontractor for completion (and pay $$$) instead of providing something you could finish yourself or get competitive bids on.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
On Dec 4, 10:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There are a wide variety of circuit tracers available where a device that generates a signal is connected on one end of the wire and then a receiver is used to follow where it goes. I would think Home Depot, etc would have them, certainly electric supply would, also probably on Ebay, online, etc. You want one that will work on an un-energized circuit.
electronic gadgets that beep or flash when brought near a live wire are common. Some come with electronic laser levels on sale for cheap, but the quality may be in question. May be a question of sensitivity. An electrician may have them.
-

If it's low quality wire, do you intend to use it? If not, then never mind where it goes. Run new wire.

I was hoping to attach my new (and better) wire onto the existing one and pull it through the walls so I don't have to drill new holes through the joists...
On Dec 4, 12:22�pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

codes require the existing wires are stapled in place, so you cant pull them ...........
sorry for bad news

codes require the existing wires are stapled in place, so you cant pull them ...........
sorry for bad news
=============== Staples for speaker wire?

Staples for any low voltage wire in the wall.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Ground floor? Maybe check the basement for holes drilled beneath the mysterious plates. You've probably already done that, but I'm just sayin'....
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The existing wire is probably stapled, with the holes caulked. You won't be able to pull them.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need a tone generator and inductive probe. They are the alarm installers best friend. While a bit expensive for a one-time use perhaps you can find a used set in a pawn shop.
Here's a cheap one at HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?id0598687&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId053&marketID@1&productId0598687&locStoreNum25&langId=-1&linktype=product&storeId051&ddkey=THDSiteMap

Almost every telephone installer/repair person will have one. If you happen to know someone that works for your local telco...

Or you can build one http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/foxhound.html
On Dec 4, 9:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

An RF wire (tone) tracer and a lot of patience. At Home Despot you will find a couple of brands but the one with the gray box is the best (the brand name escapes me but I think it begins with the letter P). I have that one and I also have the Fluke wire tracer, but the one with the gray square box seems to have a more sensitive and powerful RF signal. You simply attach the transmitter alligator clips to the speaker wire. This basically makes that whole wire into a big transmitting antenna. You then walk around with your "sniffer" (its an RF receiver tuned to your transmitter) until you hear the test tone, then you know the wire continues in that direction in your ceiling or wall. An RF tracer will be handy if you did not pre-wire this house yourself and the owner did not label the wires at the termination end.