How to fill gap under door?

Missing a threshold and weather strip. Various styles at Home Depot and lowes. Also buy a tube of caulk and caulk gun.

Reply to
Art

"Michael Shaffer"

You can buy door thresholds, but the labor to put one in correctly doesn't seem justifiable given the condition of that door. A new steel door assy with window would be about $200, as a door that narrow probably won't be in stock anywhere. That's pretty much what I would do. Probably $300 or so installed. It's a very simple and fast job if you know what you are doing.

- Nate

Reply to
Nate B

There are replacement door assemblies that have angle iron frames so all you do is remove molding and install new frame and door and reinstall molding and install threshold. Might be the way to go. Benchcraft is one brand.

Reply to
Art

I don't have any experience putting in thresholds, but it seems pretty easy to me. Don't you just screw down the threshold, then screw on the weatherstrip to the bottom of the door? Should take about half an hour to do the measuring, drilling, installing. Does that sound about righ?

Reply to
Dean

looking at the door, there is no sill under the door... what happened to the door sill????? that is probably why you have a gap under the door... look at the neighbors doors and you will see a wooden piece the width of the door at the bottom on the floor... that is probably what you need.. they sell this stuff at most lumber yards and places likc home depot and lowes, but if you ask at these two places you might not get any help... the employees dont know too much.. try the yellow pages and call around at local lumber yards, ask if they have lumber for door sills.... if they tell you yes and then you know they will know what you want.... measure the opening from teh floor to the bottom of the door.. the space you now have and bring that along so they can tell you what size lumber to get... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

"Dean"

?

If you get extremely lucky with the gap matching whatever products you find - then maybe. However, it's far more often the case that the door will need to come off the hinges and a little taken off the bottom - at which point you're pretty close to the labor involved in installing a door assy where all the nit-picky fitting has been done already, IMO. There is very little adjustability in off-the-shelf door seals and thresholds - maybe 1/4" at the most on ones I've seen.

Reply to
Nate B

Easy, measure the amount the door need to be increased to close the hole at the bottom, take the door off, and nail a strip of wood the correct thickness width and length to the bottome of the door. As an alternative simply buy one of the many products that are made to be attached to the bottom of a door and consist of an aluminum strip with a rubber sweep attached.

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

How can I close this gap under the door? It makes a huge draft and shoving a towel under it is getting old. Should I just get a new door?

Thanks Michael

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

I see what you mean. Yeah, if it involves gap matching, then that's a huge pain.

Reply to
Dean

I don't know why the others can't see the threshhold or the board that must be about an inch high. I bet you get water under the door when it rains. I would put a vinyl door sweep on and caulk about the door frame if you see cracks or any space.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

No it's not. The threshold needs to be thin enough that the door will close, but you can put thin material down first to raise the threshold. You can use plywood from 3/16" (panneling) to 3/4" in any combination to get the correct thickness to raise the threshold. (just make sure the plywood is sealed and well painted when you put it down. You can also have solid wood sawn to any thickness. What you really need is just some panneling scraps.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon