How to fill cracks in block walls?

I have opened up some holes in the concrete block walls during my electrical and plumbing projects, most of them the size slightly larger than electrical boxes but some bigger.

I have decided that for the holes that are above the slab, I will use those foamy GREAT STUFF products to just fill the gaps.

For holes that are on the wall but below the slab (my floor slab is about 24" above grade) whether it may be above grade or below grade, I will fill with some slurry mix or sand topping mix. The question I have is how do I do this?

If I have a rough hole about 4"x4" in the block wall, a 3" pipe runs through it, now I have narrow space of 1/2" more or less around the edge of the pipe. How so I push or pack those mix in? Do I mix it dry and push it in as much as I can with a stick? Does not think this will create any uniform patch. Or do I mix it very wet and put it in some sort of a cone with a small nozzle and try to force it into the hole, sort of like how pastry chefs put cream in a paper cone and squeeze them out to make patterns?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

You want to patch the wall of the block, not necessarily fill it, right? Stuff in a piece of building paper (so mortar won't fall through the cell), push it below the opening and trowel it in and on.

Reply to
dadiOH

An extremely easy product to use - Structolite. Bonds very well to block. Needs only water to mix. Perform the gross fill and hold it down about an 1/8 below finish. Apply final coat. It can be struck off with a board leaving a slightly torn surface that will look just like the block. You can strike fake "mortar lines" just before it is set. Once painted it will look just like the block. I use this method to "repair" block walls after the plumbers have destroyed quite a batch on a remodel or repair.

Reply to
DanG

on 11/17/2009 10:45 AM (ET) MiamiCuse wrote the following:

I patched a 6" hole where my well water line came into the basement through the poured concrete wall. This was right after I had the house built and moved in and noticed water seeping through the hole. I used Drylok Fast Plug which can be used even if the water is seeping in at the time.

willshak