How to fasten ceiling sheet rock?

I need to attach new sheet rock to the ceiling.

It was removed since there were some leaks and stains which has since been repaired. At first I thought the sheet rock were attached to the ceiling joist, but after I had them removed, I noticed they attached 1x3 fir furring strips perpendicular to the joist spaced 16" apart, the fiber glass insulation were then placed between two joists, resting on the furring strips.

Now I need to attached new sheet rock and wonder what is the best way to fasten it. Should I use screws, nails, or staples? Is it the same rule as walls - once every eight inches?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Let the installer assist you. In the 70's we tossed some nails in our mouth and went too nailing the ceiling rock we held-up with our heads on ladders. Spit the nail into the hand and tack/nail it home!

Use screws, today.

-- Oren

Oren

Drywall screws is best. They don't pop the way nails sometimes do. Yes, every 8"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You already know that drywall is heavy. Use screws as described by others. For ceiling work, I also use a construction adhesive like PL-400 on the joists for extra holding strength.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

Nails or screws, screws are best.

Do yourself a favor and rent a sheetrock jack. While it can, and is, done with two people just holding it up or with a couple braces, it is no fun.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There are drywall "lifters" to hold the sheet rock into position, but these can be expensive to rent. Hold the sheet in place using your head, then fasten with drywall screws every 8" along every joist.

Reply to
Phisherman

$ 27.00/day at Home Depot. Pretty cheap for the 'stress" they save (unless you have some tall strong "lifter" humans)

Reply to
Rudy