how to establish natural convection with heater and stairwell?

My floorplan is basically 16 x 22, two floors. The heater is on the first floor 12' from the stairwell which is drafting all the heat up to the second floor. If I put a large vent in the floor above the heater will the heat draw up through the vent reversing the airflow so the stairwell acts as a return creating a natural convection pattern?
--
dfdelprete

Vents like that have been used quite a bit for the reason you cite. I've also heard they are no longer permitted by code because they would foster a fire spreading more rapidly like that.
dfdelprete wrote:

Have you considered a ceiling fan at the top? Might keep air circulating better and the temps more consistent.