How to drill square holes

How to drill square holes and several other interesting mechanical principles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AzbDJ7KYI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEhyQfbImY&feature=related

Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 12, 3:03 am, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

The Rouleau(sp?) triangle drill CANNOT drill a square hole ...exactly, because it cannot reach completely into the corners.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 05:03:43 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:

Check out "rotary broaching" http://www.slatertools.com/sales-support-service/videos/rotary-broach-and - tool-holder-demostration
Add pictures here
✖
Bob-tx wrote:

1. Mark the square 2. Mark the center 3. Drill a round hole 4. Take a triangle file to open up the corners
This works well, and I use it in metal whenever I want to use a carriage bolt. This would obviously be too slow for production, though.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:18:10 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Use a mortising bit/

Add pictures here
✖
Rotary broaching is a great way to make small square holes in precision machined products. Take a look at this video which shows internal and external forms: (the video shows hexagons but square holes are made the same way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmWKUxwbiE

Also, see www.buybroaches.com for more information about the tools.
Add pictures here
✖