How to drill a 2" hole through thick particle board?

I have a piece of melamine board which is part of a shelving system. I need to drill a hole 2" diameter through it so that I can pass electronic cables from one side of the shelf to the other.

The problem is this board is about 2.5" thick and I only have a hand drill. I practice drilling a hole this big on solid wood and each time when I am done the hole is not straight, it is skewed or slanted because I can't keep my hand steady and my penetration is not at perfect right angle. Also I worry about when drilling through particle board will be even harder, and when it is almost all the way through the drill will "rip" through the other side and the laminate surface will be messed up.

Any suggestions?

orangetrader

And drill 1/2 way through one side, then drill the rest of the way from the opposite.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Orange T,

It is very difficult to achieve penetration at perfect right angle, but with much practice it can happen with great satisfaction ;-)

I would buy or rent a hole saw for your melamine.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Start by drilling a pilot hole just slightly smaller than the bit in the center of your hole saw. Now drill from each side using it as a guide. If you want the best results, find a friend with a drill press.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Thanks Joe. Is there any contraption such as a "drill" stabilizer that can help do the job?

orangetrader

Yes, a stick. Honest. Take a 1 x 2 and cut a piece of it off and screw or nail it to be 90 Degrees to the longer size. Use it like a square. Put the drill against it as a guide to keep you straight.

Do you know anyone with a drill press? That is the best method. Ask the guys at work or ask in the maintenance shop. You may be able to get it done for the cost of a cup of coffee. If you live near me, I'd do it for you. I'm in CT.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

By the way, at 2.5" thick that shelf is probably hollow or filled with a honeycomb paper material and not solid. If it were solid it would be extremely heavy.

Take care drilling, do each side separately.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

you can put one of these at each end it will cover up any chipping that may occur tape both sides

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Drill a small hole all the way through. Leave the drill running, and pull the bit out often to clear the chips out of the bit.

Holesaw some from one side, and some from the other.

Shop drill press sounds good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is solid but not solid wood. It is particle board. Very very heavy. I will drill from both sides. I hope they meet in the middle.

Thanks,

orangetrader

They WILL meet in the middle..as long as you drill a small hole first right through and then use that as a pilot hole to center the holes when you drill from each side. I still would suggest getting someone with a drill press to do this hole though if possible, it's MUCH easier to get a good job that way.

Reply to
Mikey S.

The only thing the others never mentioned is to use a good quality, sharp hole saw.

Reply to
Lorence M