How to drag large garbage can?

Page 4 of 5

I am 62. I have two of those large puppies because we only get garbage pickup once a week. The pickup point is at least 1/2 mile away from my house. I have an ATV. For a long time, I would tie one to the back, and roll it down, tipped slightly. Sometimes, I had two of them on there. Sometimes they spilled. But the route was fairly flat with only a couple of steep dips. I never could get the hang of just pulling it with my hand, as I have had two shoulder surgeries and heart surgery.
I did find a little trailer at a yard sale that will carry the two of them, and up to five empty ones. When they are all empty, I bring back mine and the neighbor's. If he's first to get there when they're empty, he brings mine.
That would not help you. Get some help before you hurt yourself. I know you're tough, but it's time to stand back and watch the young guys do it.
Steve
Walter E. wrote:

Get an incinerator or outdoor wood stove. Burn everything. Take your cans and bottles back to the store and throw them in THEIR dumpster.
--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........

Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! I have read the entire thread, and beg you to heed the advice re: contacting the municipality or whomever, and requesting aid in light of your age and the steep driveway. Explore all levels of government, and if nothing works, contact a senior center in your nearest municipality and explain your predicament. I bet they will be able to help you.
If all else fails, do budget for a few bucks to a youngster (or even an unemployed person). IT'S NOT WORTH THE POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES!
Last summer, I was pushing -- on the flats --my wheeled recycling cart, which the transient apt. dwellers across the alley had filled with 40 lbs. of their moving-out paper discards. (The alley, BTW),has plenty of oversize recycling carts!! When I raised hell with the City, they finally provided this building with the recycling carts they should have had all along -- this was after decades of them dumping in my cans.)
It got away from me and I ended up head-first inside the can, with a giant gash and a broken wrist. You can imagine how long it took for the wrist to heal (I am no spring chicken either!). It is NOT WORTH IT for you to risk something similar, or heaven forbid, a broken hip. !!!
Pls reassure me & group that you are taking action -- in keeping with your URL "Rationality.net" <g>
Hypatia

.>>Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! I have read the entire thread, and

Oh my freaking doG! Just man up, start exercising/working out/whatever, and suck it up. 80 isn't that old. If you have health issues it's most likely because you don't do anything. Get off the couch now, while you still can. There's no reason not to be completely active and functional until your very last day. Sheesh!

In case no one told you yet, STFU.
On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:15:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Wiping my eyes from laughter......

You really need to get out more. PLONK!
On Thu, 6 May 2010 14:44:09 -0700 (PDT), tmclone

I'm just shattered.
You don't have a kill file for me?
Like I asked before, are you the same "h" as the poster "tmclone"?
Oren wrote:

Researchers have always believed there existed more than one specimen of the fabled Plonkasaurus. Ancient data storage devices once used on the predecessor of The Universe Net or Versenet as it is more commonly called today have given a number of data diggers (electronic archaeologists) great hope in finding out more about The Cult Of Plonk and those who belonged to it. As for Versenet, the younglings call it The Verz or simply Verz. I see younglings walking around talking to themselves and I thought they were mentally ill until I realized they had the new retina implant videophone. At least when you see someone talking to their thumb, you knew they were using their implanted thumbnail video interface. When I was a youngling, I recall my great, great, great grandfather telling me about oldtech called bluetooth that people once used in conjunction with those really huge communicators called cellphones. When my 3paw said bluetooth, I said "3pop, people get any color tooth they want today, why could they only get a blue tooth?" When 3paw explained that he saw people walking around talking to themselves like they were crazy, I didn't know then that I would have the same thing happen to me some day. My 3paw was a cool old guy, he still wore things called eyeglasses. My 3pop died at age 150 of TOF when Obama General Hospital told us he didn't qualify for any more organ replacements or regenerations. The last thing he said to us was "What a ride, what a ride" It's amazing that when I was a youngling, people died at such an early age. I still still think about my 3paw every day and how much he taught me.
TDD

WALTER, ARE YOU LISTENING?
I hope by now you have reached out to your local government, municipal, county, whatever, for assistance, as well as to the Senior Center, and/or to a house of worship, if you belong to one (though somebody who signs "rationality.net" may not be affiliated <g>
Somebody in this thread -- maybe more than one poster -- mentioned slipping on the ice.
Here's "Dear Abby" for today:
"DEAR ABBY: Early this year, my mother went to the curb to collect the empty trash bin and put it away for the week. As she wheeled it behind her home, she slipped on the ice and BROKE HER HIP.C She lives alone and was in the back of her property where NOBODY COULD SEE OR HEAR HER. Fortunately, she'd had the foresight to GRAB HER CELL PHONE before she went outside. Because she was unable to stand up she could have frozen to death. She called 911 and within minutes an ambulance arrived to take her to the hospital.
Mom had surgery to repair the hip and is recovering, but it was a close call. This is a reminder to your readers that if they live alone -- or have parents who do -- to make sure to have a cell phone available at all times. -- RELIEVED SON IN ELKHART, IND.
DEAR RELIEVED SON: I'm pleased to pass along your important message. Your mother did, indeed, have a close call. It must have been her guardian angel who handed her her cell phone as she left the house that wintry day. Please tell her I said so and that I hope she's better soon."
I don't go for that "guardian angel" crap; maybe the mother was just being "rational".
Reason I'm posting this is to reinforce what seems to be a NG opinion that you are taking big chances, mickey-mousing your trash collection by the various means you have outlined.
Take your sword and cut the Gordian knot before it's too late!
Hypatia

How about leaving the cans near the road and taking small amounts out in your trunk?

If you have a tractor or rider mower attach cans to a cart, use tractor to take cans up and down hill. leave cart at bottom of hill on garbage day.

Does The Scooter Store install trailer hitches? ;-)

I think you can get Monster Truck Scooters now.
Walter E. wrote:

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129165718187185505.jpg
Two ways to go here:
Reduce the weight of each trip. Leave your garbage bin empty all week, roll it down the hill empty, carry the bags down one at a time. They can be as small as you want, you're the one filling them.
More controversial, reduce the total weight of your garbage. This may depend on what recycling is available in your area. I lived in a location where the allowable garbage pickup was one kitchen sized bin (1 foot square, 3 feet high) every two weeks, and if it contained anything recyclable (paper, aluminum, etc.) then it could be rejected or you could be fined. We recycled everything possible and had no trouble fitting our garbage into the bin. This was from a family of four. It can be done with little effort once it is a habit.
On 5/3/2010 10:22 PM, Walter E. wrote:

Hire a boy to take it out for you.
--
Steve Barker

Get a smaller cart and fill the bins at the curb. You have to make more trips that way but it is a whole lot better than hurting yourself.
You also might get a trailer that you could pull with the garden tractor. The trash company could probably deal with the cans on the trailer.
--

Roger Shoaf

Leave the cans at the end of the driveway and carry the trash to the cans. I live in a rural area too and have a long driveway. I leave my can sitting unobtrusively beside my driveway. On trash day, I only have to move the can about 15 feet and it's at the street. After the collector's come, I move the empty can back.
Gloria

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/How-to-drag-large-garbage-can-440259-.htm towabin wrote:
Walter E. wrote:

Walter , there is an easier way to move trash bins over long and steep driveways, check it my website, it is a simple bracket to tow wheeled bins.It is called TOW-A-BIN.