How to drag large garbage can?

If you like gardening you should be making compost out of that stuff.

Reply to
Tony

Good job! A lot of places won't take grass clippings and other garden waste. Although I like the compost idea, I'm sort of stuck wondering if that compost stuff wouldn't help the landfill compost most of the paper type waste?

Reply to
Tony

Put a sign on it:

Do not remove under penalty of law.

nb

Reply to
notbob

At the very least, you should be able to get them to supply you with smaller, more manageable containers. I'd be surprised that they wouldn't offer to get the containers for you in this case, however.

A compost pile can make good stuff out of all that organic waste. I'd never give it all away.

Reply to
Bob F

On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:38:16 -0400, "h" wrote Re Re: How to drag large garbage can?:

I live in a rural area like the OP. The nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. There are no such laws here, and the can is not visible from the road.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

You qualify for some type of assistance on and above that of a regular citizen. What if you were in a wheelchair?

Call the hauler, and explain the situation, and you are requesting special service. If that doesn't work, , and ask to speak to the (ADA American's with Disability Act) compliance officer. If they are a big outfit, they will have one. If they are not, they will not want to be messing with the feds, and you will probably get their attention. BE NICE! Explain to them that you just can't lug these things down to the pickup point, THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UNDER THE ADA LAW. Also, casually mention that you'd hate it if you were to have an accident while trying to use THEIR equipment. I bet they will do one of two things. One, they will send a special truck to pick up your trash, or they will have the guys come up the hill and schlep the garbage down. If they do have the guys do the extra work, you might have an extra charge, but I'd investigate that, too. And if they did do the extra work to come all the way up, go out there when it's hot and give them a couple of cold sodas or Gatorades or donuts and coffee when it's cold. If you get the hearts of the guys on the truck, they will go the extra mile for you. The ones I had at my houses would have taken away a dead body for a $5 tip and a couple of cold Gatorades.

Try reason and niceness first before you pullout the ADA card. No need to wave the feds in their face if you can just get what you want with a little kindness.

As I have written in my blog under "Stuff" category, get every aid you can because of your age and limitations. You earned them and you paid for them by paying taxes for a very long time.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

I am 62. I have two of those large puppies because we only get garbage pickup once a week. The pickup point is at least 1/2 mile away from my house. I have an ATV. For a long time, I would tie one to the back, and roll it down, tipped slightly. Sometimes, I had two of them on there. Sometimes they spilled. But the route was fairly flat with only a couple of steep dips. I never could get the hang of just pulling it with my hand, as I have had two shoulder surgeries and heart surgery.

I did find a little trailer at a yard sale that will carry the two of them, and up to five empty ones. When they are all empty, I bring back mine and the neighbor's. If he's first to get there when they're empty, he brings mine.

That would not help you. Get some help before you hurt yourself. I know you're tough, but it's time to stand back and watch the young guys do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

OMIGAWD, THERE ARE REASONABLE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE HERE WHO CAN READ! Kudos, George.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I love walking bags of trash down to the can. Particularly if it is raining, snowing, sleeting, windy, and my favorite ....... ICY! Makes me feel more like a man.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Get an incinerator or outdoor wood stove. Burn everything. Take your cans and bottles back to the store and throw them in THEIR dumpster.

Reply to
LSMFT

I'll bet your mom doesn't haul 200# loads. More power to her. There is a big difference between being active and taking chances. 80 y/o bones break easily, and don't heal as easily. I've become much more aware of fall hazards around the house, and have made my home safer. I do a lot of physical work and hope always to be able to do so.

Reply to
norminn

Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! I have read the entire thread, and beg you to heed the advice re: contacting the municipality or whomever, and requesting aid in light of your age and the steep driveway. Explore all levels of government, and if nothing works, contact a senior center in your nearest municipality and explain your predicament. I bet they will be able to help you.

If all else fails, do budget for a few bucks to a youngster (or even an unemployed person). IT'S NOT WORTH THE POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES!

Last summer, I was pushing -- on the flats --my wheeled recycling cart, which the transient apt. dwellers across the alley had filled with 40 lbs. of their moving-out paper discards. (The alley, BTW),has plenty of oversize recycling carts!! When I raised hell with the City, they finally provided this building with the recycling carts they should have had all along -- this was after decades of them dumping in my cans.)

It got away from me and I ended up head-first inside the can, with a giant gash and a broken wrist. You can imagine how long it took for the wrist to heal (I am no spring chicken either!). It is NOT WORTH IT for you to risk something similar, or heaven forbid, a broken hip. !!!

Pls reassure me & group that you are taking action -- in keeping with your URL "Rationality.net"

Hypatia

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I disagree. Her wheelbarrow is nearly as large as she is, yet she fills it full up with dirt/gravel/whatever, and hauls it all over the yard. Could easily be 200lbs. Again, if you don't use it, you lose it. Weight resistance builds bone strength/density. She fell on the ice last year and not only did she not break anything, she didn't even bruise. Her solution to slipping on the ice wasn't to get someone to do her shoveling for her, she bought crampons to slip on over her boots. She has someone plow the driveway, but she like to shovel the front and back walkways - she says it "keeps her young".

.>>Walter, DON'T DON'T DON'T t!!!! I have read the entire thread, and

Oh my freaking doG! Just man up, start exercising/working out/whatever, and suck it up. 80 isn't that old. If you have health issues it's most likely because you don't do anything. Get off the couch now, while you still can. There's no reason not to be completely active and functional until your very last day. Sheesh!

As I said before, there is a big difference between healthy exercise and taking chances. As active as many elderly are, a broken hip can mean permanent disability or death. As a retired nurse, I have seen it many, many times. Just keeping mental track, I figured over the years that the most common cause of falls for elderly that resulted in broken hips was...hurrying to the restroom.

My mom gave herself a present for her 80th and hired someone to clean her eavestroughs for her. They did not do a satisfactory job, so she resumed climbing on a ladder and doing it herself (single story home).

My husband is exceedingly strong, but when he isn't around and I want to do something that requires moving something heavy, I engineer it. Fitness does not equal foolishness...if the trip is a long one, there is no reason to risk a fall on ice or a back injury toting a heavy load. Taking more, smaller loads increases exercise and reduces chance of strain. As others have suggested, using vegetative waste for mulch is also a good idea.

Reply to
norminn

Bottom line, when you stop doing things for yourself, just dig a hole and lie down, since you're already dead. Meaning, that if you are not exercising VIGOROUSLY for at LEAST 60 MINUTES EVERY day, you aren't doing anything and should just give it up. Exercising (weight resistance training) actually builds up bones and guards against breaks, even in advanced old age, as any nurse should know. You can get the exercise moving your trash, your dirt, cleaning your house, your gutters, dancing, taking yoga or boxing classes, or going to the gym. Work it out on your own, but most people will die much sooner than they should because they never get off their asses. Most people, Americans in particular, are lazy.

Your English comprehension isn't too good...who suggested that anyone stop being active?

Reply to
norminn

Umm, you said to weenie-out and let other people do things for you. SAME THING! Reading comprehension not your long suit, huh? PLONK!

No compost pile? Yard and garden waste shouldn't be going to the landfill anyway.

Build an enclosure for the cans up by the road, and take it up one five-gallon bucket at a time, on a hand-truck if needed. May take a little relandscaping to make it look right, but if you are still keeping a garden that big, shouldn't be anything you can't handle.

Reply to
aemeijers

"h" wrote in news:hrq5m3$5pp$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

In case no one told you yet, STFU.