How to drag large garbage can?

Page 1 of 5

Our city provides large garbage cans, about 4' tall and 30" square. Full, they can weigh up to 200 pounds, especially if we fill them with heavy ice plant. Our home is located at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway (50' in length). We have three of these black cans for household garbage and landscape debris.
I am getting on in years (80 YO) and find it hard to roll these monster cans up to the curb for pickup by the garbage truck. I have tried tying them (one at a time) to the hook for my trunk lid inside my trunk.
The problem is, the cans meander something awful when I pull them up the hill with my car, to the point where I am afraid they might tip over sideways. I have used heavy rope and also bungee cords. Same problem.
Any better suggestion, anyone? Thank you.
--
-
Walter

Call the hauler and request them to pick up at your house. That's the way people do it around here, anyways. You pay extra, but it saves you a lot of aggravation.
The monster garbage trucks are too huge and heavy for my driveway.
--
-
Walter
On 5/4/2010 3:45 AM, Walter E. wrote:

and check to see if you can get it.
Bill

Jeez, for an 80 year old you aren't too swift. 80 years of life experience, wisdom, and knowledge. One would think you'd know better.
They're not going to drive the "monster" garbage truck down a 50' driveway! Hell, the truck would pretty much fill the entire driveway! It's over 30' long by itself.
The garbage man WALKS down the driveway, wheels the cans to the road, and dumps them in the truck!

We have one of those. It's heavier going down the driveway than up. ;-)

You're 80YO and fill three cans a week? People typically use less as they get older (fewer in the house, smaller meals, less junk,...).

Pay a neighbor kid $5 a week?

If I was your neighbor, you could call me to help. I would hope you had a neighbor who wouldn't mind coming over to grab your can.
<sorry, I couldn't help it> 8-)
TDD
Thank you for the idea but there are no neighbors close to us (semi-rural environment)
--
-
Walter
On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:52:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

What I do is open my driver side window and grab a hold of the handle and drag the garbage can behind me just a few inches away from the car.
Surprisingly, it doesn't scrape against the car and doesn't hurt the arm (too much). Try it once with the empty can on the way back up the hill and let us know how it works.
Also some people (who have more money than I do) use a garden tractor with a yard trailer hitched behind with the garbage cans piled in the trailer. Also works from a pickup or from an automobile hitch but this might be more work than you were asking for.
Good luck ... if you find out a better answer, let me know.
Good try, but when you are 80 years old, will you be able to do that neat little trick with a 200 lb garbage can??
--
-
Walter
Walter E. wrote:

Heh!
We have those cans and the city won't pick them up if they contain "yard waste;" There's a separate protocol for that.
I recommend piling up the clippings, etc., in the backyard and burning them.
Alternatively, put your yard waste in easier-to-handle plastic bags, put an empty can on the curb, and discover some clever way to get the bags to the can (in the back of your pickup, using a wheelbarrow, attaching the bags to the harness of a (large) dog...
Can you rig up some sort of pulley system, like tenement clothes-lines?
Walter E. wrote:

If you like gardening you should be making compost out of that stuff.
Walter E. wrote:

No compost pile? Yard and garden waste shouldn't be going to the landfill anyway.
Build an enclosure for the cans up by the road, and take it up one five-gallon bucket at a time, on a hand-truck if needed. May take a little relandscaping to make it look right, but if you are still keeping a garden that big, shouldn't be anything you can't handle.
--
aem sends...

On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:52:06 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

But he lives at the bottom of his driveway.
mm wrote:

I think it's time to call in the experts. Where's Walter?

Though I've certainly seen it, I'd never buy a house lower than street level. Hauling garbage cans would be the least of my worries.
On 5/5/2010 6:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I've seen dozens that lay like that. And many of them right in town.
--
Steve Barker

Sure, but it's something I'd run far away from long before I turned 80. In fact, about 30 seconds after the agent drove us up (down?) to the house.

yuck, I'd never buy one.