how to do the last row of shingles?

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do it is...
I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?
I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate, but what is the right way? Thanks.

It's probably going to get wetter than you think -- consider rain blown water running down the wall of the garage, for example.
If I understand your situation correctly, the proper way would be to install flashing over the top row of shingles and under what ever the garage wall is sided with.

yes the proper way is to tuck flashing under the siding. How far under a overhang is it? I did the same thing on my shed and it hasn't leaked yet, but then the lean to was close enough to the eave that I could barely fit a roofing nailer under there. I'd recommend keeping an eye on it. You could always caulk a piece of flashing to the garage siding. Not ideal, but for a shed it's probably good enough.

If it's roofing cement, that tends to dry out and fail when exposed to the sun I've read in a few places. I've also seen a lot of roofing cement that was exposed to sun/weather that was dried out. Have started using polyurethane based flashing cements like Henry 900. Just a tidbit. You didn't create any roofing crime.
On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:19:36 GMT, "Suanne Lippman"

After the next blowing rain from that direction, check for leaks. Only if you have leaks, then remove the last row and add flashing to make it water proof. Then add the layer back, just like you did before.

Look up "step flashing"
beecrofter wrote:

You can't use step flashing at that connection. You use wall flashing. If the shingles were running into a wall at the end of each run, you may use step flashing. His wall is along the top row of shingles.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.