How to Discourage a Skunk?

Yep. That was almost spectacular.
--Vic

-snip-
Well, you used it right well. Sent us all scurrying off to Google to see what you'd mis-spelt.<g>
Can't believe I've never run across it before. Just hope the old brain will hold on to it long enough to use it once before I croak.
Jim

Electric fence shocker. A STRONG one. Works for stray cats and dogs and raccoons and all sorts of critters. I got one so strong, it will do 10 miles of fence, and for $5. I had to try it to see if it was working, and WHEW, howdy, it works.
Steve

That's what I do. They sometimes nest under my front concrete porch. If they raise too much stink, which they do sometimes, I flood them out with a garden hose in the hole they dug. Stick it in there and walk away. Fill the hole later. That's always lasted a 2-3 years before they come back. Sometimes they'll be one hiding under a big evergreen in my yard. Skunked all 3 of my dogs once. Indoor pets. That was a mess. I keep the dogs away from that tree now.
--Vic
On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:

You can catch and release using a Hav-a-hart trap.
They say the skunk will not spray when confined.
I've caught a couple and just opened the trap to let them out without getting sprayed. I don't think I'd transfer them in my SUV and would want to only use an open pick-up just in case.
You cover the trapped skunk with a blanket and take to where you can release it. You can tie a string to the trap to open at a safe distance.
The ones I released without transporting did not even leave a trace of odor in the trap.
Frank wrote:

Hav-a-hart trap covered with a blanket works. Saw my local animal control person do that when I caught a skunk by accident.
Fun thread:-))

I had a wooden deck (12x25) built on the ground at our RV trailer site. A family of skunks (two adults and two little ones) decided to make living under the deck, between two joists their home. I tried everything--ammonia, broken pieces of glass, store bought skunk repellant etc.--nothing helped. They would leave early evening-we stayed in and watched them go- and they were back before day light. During the day we could see them in the space between the decking-two inches under our feet.. I finally decided to go about our business as usual--sweeping, hosing down the deck and whatever else. I'll leave them alone as long as they left me alone. We never had an incident and I think that the saving grace was that they were so confined that they couldn't raise their tails.. Could be they also bought into the "I'll leave them alone if they leave me alone". So in your case, if tail space is limited, leave him alone and don't threaten him. MLD
On 8/14/2011 3:56 AM, mike wrote:

I always thought the best way to discourage a skunk was not to vote for them again. ^_^
TDD

Start laying your scent!
I don't know how fearless they are. I sprinkled fox urine sprinkles from the nursery for my garden.
Greg
On 8/26/2011 11:11 AM, gregz wrote:

Scent is probably the only way me and my roommate are going to housebreak Sandy The Wonder Chihuahua. I've never seen such a small submarine fire off such huge torpedoes. ^_^
TDD