How to determine location of underground drain line?

I have a property that was built in 1972 - no plans available.
Spoke to previous owners and original architect - did not keep plans.
Talked to City's building department - any plans prior to 1974 was on microfilm and was destroyed by some parasite and no longer available.
How, I have a drainage problem. The house is a wrap around house (rooms on four sides) with the pool in the middle. The pool opening has a doomed shape screen on top. When it rains really heavily, rain water pours into the center courtyard. The courtyard has three drain inlets - north, east and west sides but the south sides has a low spot and it ponds and water will get into the room from there - all wet carpet...
I think I need to put a drain inlet at this low spot (AND try to find a way to minimize the runoff from the roof to the pool area) but I have no idea where the existing drain line is. There are no plans.
Is there some sort of device that can detect pipe location beneath the brick pavers and probably concrete slab below that? I need to know where the line runs to know if I can punch a hole and install a new inlet near the line.
Thanks,
MC
miamicuse wrote:

It might be possible to run in a metallic snake and use a metal detector.
a hopeful guess: chances are good there may be a drain already there, just broken off and buried? action: dig around where the drain should be as if it's 1972, for any further evidence. assistance needed: then call on local experienced plumbers who may have been to the home already, check with neighbors, and snake out ALL the traps and drains. a sewer camera isn't needed until after the above but you've already got a major expensive water problem to fix so don't delay. where the rain and dirty pool water all go could be interrupted by blockage anywhere along the planned or real pathways of the drain. the plans don't always match reality, so go with reality and a good sewer man on this one. often the oldtimers at the sewer company may provide assistance as to how deep the applicable sewer can be found. a call to them may provide a free visit to see that everything's fine on the city side at the street manhole.
miamicuse wrote:

buffalobill wrote:

Good advice from BB. You may also want to call the local number for utility locating, probably 1-800-dig-safe. Just tell them you are doing major landscaping and installing a fence (when that car gets moved). This is free and if the drains are iron they should find them. If none of that works hire a plumber with a device for locating drains. They send it down the pipe on the snake with a transmitter and use a receiver to follow it. Probably expensive.

Not necessarily expensive. Some plumbing companies include a video inspection as part of the cleanout service and the locator is built into the video equipment (If you find a broken pipe you want to know where right) Cost at least $100 but few plumbing services cost less.

the
I called a few, so far the lowest price quote I got for a video inspection is $2500. But they say it is for video inspection only, it does not locate for me where the pipe physically is...that would be additional.
MC
Thanks. It is worth a try ... I called around plumbing companies and no one has service this house. No luck there. May be I will call a plumber and see...thanks,
MC

on
into
east
way
idea
brick
line
line.

There is a device called a "Pipe Horn" that many utility contractors use.
...snipped...

Does it detect only metal pipes or can it do PVC as well? Does it work only on natural ground or can it detect under reinforced concrete slabs?
Thanks,
MC