how to determine age of refrigerator

I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of the repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit? Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is

9522681AD0477

Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric

Have you looked inside the doors and compartments for a tag?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Remove the thermostat, there should be a date stamped on it.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yup, cant find anything with a date Eric

Reply to
Eric

Interesting, i'll try that Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi Eric,

If it's older than just a few years, you determine this from the model number's 1st and 3rd digits following the decimal point. Example: 106.8619222 is a Whirlpool-mfg'd 1981 model. The 3 digits before the decimal tell us who actually manufactured the refrig (Sears doesn't make any themselves). The Kenmore refrig prefixes that come to mind are:

106 - Whirlpool 363 - GE 253 - Frigidaire (Electrolux) 596 - Amana 564 - Sanyo (mostly compacts)

Newer ones are coded in the serial number, and it's more complicated.

Hope that helps. Probably more than you ever wanted to know ...

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Well, if i assume the number i got didnt have the leading stuff before the decimal point, and i use your 1st and 3rd method that would make it a 1992 model. sounds close to me based on what i know about it. I'm going to look further for a tag of some sort when the wife isnt around as she doesnt like me pulling it out from its little alcove. Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric

Well, for heavens sake. Just think how many birthday parties you have had for that refrig. Look in the attic for photos from it's first birthday party and look for the dates the camera stamped into those photos.

This is unless you are one of these cold blooded persons who never celebrate their appliances birthdays, who are a minority in America today.

Reply to
ß©©ß

Reply to
fridgeman

You shouldn't have to pull it out - there should be some kind of label or plate with model and serial number visible either:

Inside the refrigerator compartment

On the grille under the doors (I've seen this on older units)

Reply to
Mad Mac

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495 I dont see any indication of a date there at all not even a copyright date but using the 1.3 method it appears to be a 1992 model. www3.Sears.com lists the model and i can buy parts for it but again there is nothing there indicating how old it might be. Thanks all Eric

Reply to
Eric

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however, your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?

Reply to
Mad Mac

My guess is the 10495=10/04/1995? I have seen many date codes like this.. Good luck.

Reply to
Rich

Its a Kenmore, unless you mean it was made by GE for Sears and they just cll it a Kenmore? Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi, I went and rechecked the Serial number, i had it correct. Its just L228 10495 also, i read through a lot of the website you mentioned, i see Kenmore is really a GE like you said. I didnt know that. Eric

Reply to
Eric

On 11/28/2004 1:40 AM US(ET), Eric took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Sears does not manufacture appliances. They have other appliance companies make the appliances and stick a Sears brand name on them. The first three numbers in any Sears model number indicates the original manufacturer. In your case, "363." indicates that the Kenmore was actually made by GE, therefore GE parts are to be used.

Reply to
willshak

Previously in alt.home.repair, Eric proclaimed :

Interesting site. I have an old GE refrig down in the basement that came with the house and have no doubt that it's much older than 1980 (the oldest that the site above references GE appliances).

Anyone know a site that I can look up a serial number for a refrig manufactured prior to 1980?

The serial number I'm trying to look up is: PW662378, Model # TA244WD

It's *old* but dang if that thing just keeps on running. Only problem I have is having to manually defrost it about every 6-8 months but besides that, it's been nearly indestructible. It's a weird, almost pink color but what the hell, it keeps my beer and sodas cold. ;-)

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Reply to
wideglide01

Hi,

Most on-line records don't go back further than approx 1980 for a lot of the appliance info on manufacturing dates. You will probably need to call GE themselves to see if they can ID the manufacturing date.

There are some resoration companies that may also help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff