How to detect pipes/wires in masonry

I live in a double-brick house. I want to drill some holes inside the house for screws to hang things. How do you check for pipes or live wires so I don't drill into them?

Reply to
ChrisW

What is on the inside, is it just brick or furring strips with plaster lath or drywall? Many stud finders have built in wire detectors that should work. If you are in a cold climate, there is probably no plumbing on the outside walls.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do stud finders work through brick?

Reply to
ChrisW

I suppose I would use a metal detector.

My stud finder has settings for detecting metal and electricity but I'm not confident it would work through something as dense as brick.

Using one for finding metal underground would probably work best.

Reply to
greg6755

Do you have a brick wall where you know there is a pipe or wire? If so, set up a test with the stud finder or metal detector.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

That is why I asked you about the construction on the inside. If it is exposed brick, there won't be any wires or plumbing in the brick and anchors to hold a picture do not have to penetrate so far as to go through a brick. OTOH, my last house had double brick construction and there were furring strips and plasterboard on top so there were wires in between. No plumbing though.

Off hand, I don't know how far the stud finder will find metal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Determine the plumbing and wiring layout of your house. Look around for outlets, plumbing fixtures etc... Should give you a good mental picture of where things are routed.

Reply to
Meat Plow