How to define "Electrical"?

Page 1 of 3
The local Goodwill store had a HALF PRICE on all Electrical items yesterday. The sign read: "Everything Electrical is Half Price Today - Anything that plugs in".
I got: Lamp timer with a 120V cord on it. Computer mouse with PS2 cord/plug A 6 foot A/V cable (3 wire RCA cable for a VCR or DVD player) A USB to Mini USB cord for my cellphone.
When I checked out, the clerk said that the only item that plugs in, was the timer. I explained to her that the computer mouse PLUGS IN to a computer, the RCA cable PLUGS IN to a TV and VCR or DVD, and the USB cord PLUGS IN to a computer and cellphone.
She called the manager. He asked her what the problem is. She said this stuff dont plug in. He looked puzzled, when I said "It dont say what it's supposed to plug *INTO*", and told hom the same as I told the clerk (above).
He agreed with me, and said it all looked electrical, and told the clerk to give me the half price. But said if anything needed batteries, that would not qualify.
I'm not complaining, but that really is stupid and very vague wording. Just saying "Electrical" should suffice.....
On 5/14/15 3:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I'll have to side with the clerk. "Electrical" means "operated by or producing electricity."
On 05/14/2015 02:52 PM, J Burns wrote:

"Electrical" implies that it's something that runs on 115v "house current" so to speak.
The lamp timer would be such.
Items for the computer etc, would be considered "electronics".
The clerk was technically right. but it could be subject to interpretation and in a store such as Goodwill...I agree that they should just be happy top get it out the door...sold.
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 4:52:35 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

I don't see why "electrical" strictly means that it has to run off 120V AC. I think the strongest argument is the next part, where it says "anything that plugs in". I think you could reasonably construe the two taken together to mean that they meant anything that plugs into an outlet. But it's a poorly worded offer.
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 5:14:58 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Who cares about "strictly"...cut them some slack, take it for the price listed or put it back. Who are you trying to screw here?
On 05/14/2015 06:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Yep. Considering that the stuff sells for next to nothing, why try to get it for half-price???
On 5/14/2015 4:52 PM, philo wrote:

So, my 12 volt DC car doesn't have an electrical system?

And in this application, means anything "mains powered" - not "electronic" or "battery powered"
On 5/14/2015 3:52 PM, J Burns wrote:

What is your position on battery power devices? Are they electrical?
For example, is a flashlight electrical?
How about a dustbuster?
How about a battery power AM / FM radio?
On 5/14/15 9:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I took that definition from the OED. You mentioned the electrical system of your car. Anything powered by it is electrical.

I'd call a flashlight electrical when it's connected to an electrical system for charging.

Yes, half price.

Sorry, full price.
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 9:46:43 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

erk

By OED, I assume you mean the Oxford English Dictionary? This OED?:
Definition of electrical in English: adjective
1Operating by or producing electricity: ‘an electrical appliance’
‘Since when did the average boat owner need a generator to operate the boat's electrical system?’
1.1Concerned with electricity: ‘an electrical engineer’
Merriam Webster:
elec·tri·cal \-tri-kəl\ : of, relating to, or operated by e lectricity <an electric current> <an electric heater>
I don't see where either of those strictly limit "electrical" to requiring that it be intended to be plugged into an AC outlet.
You mentioned the electrical system

Is an electrical engineer also only electrical when he's plugged into an electrical system for charging?
On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 8:24:07 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

This puts you in the league with Moron and micky...and we are talking about cheating a charity, not "strict" lawyer-type semantics! If you can't see the difference...you need professional help.
On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 10:03:42 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

What exactly is your problem? The question was about the definition of electrical. I didn't say a damn thing about cheating a charity. It's a favorite tactic of you screwy libs to try to take a simple, legitimate discussion and try to twist it into something it isn't.
Funny thing, you're even doing it to your own now. The president of NOW just attacked Obama, accused him of treating Elizabeth Warren as a "little lady who doesn't know what she's talking about". Obama's offense? He gave an interview to Yahoo, where he said that while he agrees with Warren on almost everything, he disagrees with Elizabeth on the issue of the trade agreement and she;s wrong on the facts. I'm obviously no fan of Obama, but I watched what he said and it was very benign, nothing personal, nothing derisive. Yet the screw balls at NOW turned it into him calling her a "little lady". Ironic, since it's NOW that used those words to describe Warren, not Obama. They probably would have accused Obama of being part of the war against women, but they reserve that nonsense strictly for Republicans.
Your inane tactics are the same.
On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 10:04:37 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

...talk about inane tactics...injecting your political rhetoric in a conversation about nothing to do with it! LOL Oh right, it's Obama's fault!
On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 12:03:05 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

You just did it again, another fine example of how you operate and lie. I didn't say this was Obama's fault. I gave you an example of how screwy libs like you take something that someone said that was benign, factual, and then try to twist it into something very different, claiming the person said something totally different. NOW just did it *to Obama*. You're doing it here. Do try to pay attention.
On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:23:45 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

When are you ever benign? Politics didn't need to be interjected into this conversation...it is about people and choices, right and being greedy...difficult for you to perceive...
On 05/15/2015 08:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Because DC isn't REAL electricity :-)
--
"No gown worse becomes a woman than the desire to be wise." [Martin
Luther]
On 5/15/15 9:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I see we're on the same page.

If I had me a boat, I'd keep her chained to the dock so I wouldn't need a generator to operate her electrical system.

An electrical engineer tells you how to plug a flashlight into an electrical system for charging. Some moonlight as flashlight repairmen. That's where the big bucks are nowadays, what with all those leaky alkaline batteries.
On 5/15/2015 9:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Flashlight batteries provide volts and amps, which operate a bulb measured in ohms.
I consider that electrical. I also consider that "runs on electricity".
On 5/15/15 3:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was going to ask you to pick me up a digital wrist watch at Harbor Freight. I don't want to get you all upset, but I've changed my mind. You'd spend all day looking in the electrical goods department. :)