How to deal with police at a DUI checkpoint

Page 2 of 3  


heh heh..... I knew some bozo would take the bait.....
Yeah. The ticket was good. In fact, I was hammered and if Ida hadda submit to a breathelizer, Ida been screwed. But! ....I leaned heavily on my trusty Harley and they jes issued a ticket fer speeding.
After beating the ticket in court --ticket sed 25, sign sed 35 and my motorcycle was blu/silv, not blk-- the issuing officer lingered to talk to me. Turns out we'd been neighbors about 10 yrs before, when he was jes a young newlywed husband, so we shot the bull and caught up on times. It was like we were still neighbors. Strange, but true. ;)
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/17/2016 11:08 AM, philo wrote:

Exactly. I sometimes play with telemarketers and scammers that call but I don't see much point in hassling a cop at a checkpoint just because I can. Yes, there are times to be a PITA, but I'd just want to be on my way.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 4:29:36 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

+1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


I don't consider knowing my rights AND invoking them a waste of time. If you blindly trust that cops have your best interest in mind when you're stopped, that's on you. I'm not that gullible.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/2016 5:27 PM, Diesel wrote:

So a few weeks later you are pulled over by the same cop for doing 42 in a 30 zone. What is the chance of getting a ticket versus a warning?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

First of all, I pay attention to my surroundings. Especially when driving. So, it's highly unlikely i'm going to be cruising 12 over the posted speed limit as that invites a cop to pull me over. I don't go out looking for unwanted interactions with the police. Your example also changes things because that point I've broken the law. That, and, I prefer to have a nice clean driving record. Less cost for insurance this way, you see.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/2016 8:44 PM, Diesel wrote:

Yes, it does change things because things like my example happen. My point is, the police have some discretion and you can help in the way they apply it. After giving the police a hard time today, don't expect a break tomorrow.
I'm glad to hear you've never had a light turn red or exceeded the speed limit. BTW. when you were cruising along at 29 in a 30, it was me that gave you the finger as I passed you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:35:18 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I'm not stupid enough to think the police are out to help me out when they pull me over or I run into one of their checkpoints. Like I said, I'm not that gullible. I've never had one stop because I was on the side of the road with my hood up. I'd be real impressed if they actually performed the 'serve' part.

Heh. If you passed me, you weren't doing the speed limit, either. I don't roll slower than the speed limit, you can be stopped for that too. Sure, I've had lights turn red, but, I was still able to stop in time. It's called maintaining control of your vehicle. Some of us are good at it, some, like you, obviously aren't.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/17/2016 8:56 PM, Diesel wrote:

I'm usually cynical, but I have had help from the police. Not all of them are bad guys.

If the limit is 30, I'm probably doing 40. If 65, I'm doing 75, traffic permitting. . At 29 you'd not be stopped for under 30 but you would be on the interstate.
Sure, I've had lights turn red, but, I was still able to stop in

Some of us make other choices. You can stop, you can go. Every once in a while the light turns red sooner than anticipated.
In 55 years of driving and well over a million miles, I've been stopped a few times. Couple of tickets I deserved, a couple questionable that were dismissed. Couple of times stopped and on my way in seconds as I was sober. If I decided to play the "rights" game nothing would have been gained. Good chance I could have been ticketed and would have had to take the time for court.
Push me, I;ll push back hard, but Im smart enough to know when to just be polite and give no one a reason to push.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 4:16:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a incident recently where I was riding with a friend at night when the car suddenly died. We coasted off the road as best we could, but were still on the shoulder close to traffic. A local cop came by in just a few mins, saw us, stopped and helped us out. He offered to push us another 30 feet or so where we could get well off the road and that's what we did.
I see cops on the turnpike and parkway all the time helping motorists that have broken down too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/2016 02:27 PM, Diesel wrote:

My best childhood friend became a cop. A rather good one too. His advice was that to always be polite to them. That way you would never find out who the good cops and the bad cops were.
Had these officers been bad cops, all the invoking of rights would have not stopped bad cops from split open the dick's head.
Seriously now. The cops have responsibilities towards us and we do indeed have our rights. But do not forget that we also have responsibilities towards them too. Sometimes you just need to work with them.
And, don't be a dick.
And also remember: WE PAY THEM TO BE SUSPICIOUS !
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A badge doesn't automatically mean I should treat you any differently than I would someone else who's trying to detain me without a just cause for doing so. This isn't nazi germany, not yet anyway. Was your childhood friend also a hallway monitor?

Funny thing about videos these days. One doesn't always have to have it recording locally; it could be transmitting the video real time offsite via an internet connection. When the bad cops decide to have their fun and trash the camera, a nice lawsuit ensues and the cops lose their jobs. OR, some disgruntled citizens ambush them sometime later and we get to read about cops either dead and/or in critical condition later. Either way, bad cops are dealt with.

I have no responsibilities towards them. You seem to be quick to forget, YOU and I pay for them via taxes. They are public servants. Yet, they do not have our best interests at heart. They are trained to assume we're upto no good and treat us accordingly.

I disagree that I'm being a dick by wanting to know why I was stopped or what crime it is you think I might have committed. I do not have to help you to build a case against me.

We pay them to protect and to serve. They tend to forget that, though.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5:36:40 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Are you for real? Let's say you think the cops in this case didn't have any right to detain the guy. That isn't true, this has been litigated, DUI stops have been found constitutional. But let's say you believe the cops don't have the right to detain you. You don't see any difference in that and some civilian criminal detaining you for no possible legal reason? A deranged boyfriend restraining and locking up his GF is the same as a DUI checkpoint? WTF?

All the cops I ever engaged with treated me fairly and I think in most cases they had my best interests at heart. As I stated previously, I've been pulled over after drinking, cooperated, had no problems. Yes, I'm annoyed when I get a speeding ticket once in 10 years, and maybe they are doing that more for revenue than safety, but other than that, the cops have been very nice and helpful to me.

In this case, unless you were drunk, it's obvious why you were being stopped. It was a legal DUI checkpoint.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:15:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

http://www.duicenter.com/index.php/lectures/exception01.html
It's a long read, but, possibly very educational for you. Since you wanted to bring up the constitutional aspects. It has been ligitated, many times, and various states have taken it upon themselves to overturn convictions based on the fact, the supreme court chose not to protect citizens in favor of lobbyist and paid for 'laws'.

I have no idea where you make such a crazy comparison to what I wrote.

I'm glad you've had positive experiences with the police. I cannot claim the same. I don't trust them, I know for a fact they lie (even in court, under oath). And, I've had very little police encounters. I try to avoid dealing with them whenever possible.

For you. You aren't everyone else, though.

The legality of the checkpoints is still being challenged in court. With various convictions being overturned as a result. Some states do protect their own citizens when the 'supreme' court gets it wrong.
This is not nazi germany, I do not have to show you my papers just because you asked for them. I do not have to roll down my window so you can lie and claim you smelled alcohol on me to get probable cause to continue with the bullshit stop, either.
And, contrary to what the officer claimed on the video, if you do decide to turn around and not roll through it, you'll get pulled over by a cruiser that has now decided to pursue you. Been there, done that.
I asked him why he stopped me, he said I was avoiding the dui checkpoint. I asked if that was illegal, he said, technically no, but it makes you suspicious. I asked if I was being detained, he said no. I asked if I was free to leave (I had to ask multiple times, because he tried to ignore me and continue asking for me to roll down my window further and show him my drivers license). Eventually, he said, Yes you're free to leave. And I did. Without rolling my window down far or showing my license. He had no right to stop me and he knew it.
At one point, TN had a 'driver license' checkpoint which wasn't legal. The cops would tell you it was, though. You know they can lie to you and it's okay, right?
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Oct 2016 17:24:54 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Are you a closet racist or a full fledged member?
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, we all read The Naked Ape.

We do NOT pay them to harrass us.
I notice everyone, here, who thinks the padre did the wrong thing seems to ignore the illegality of the Border Patrol stop, the video of the drug dog, federal officers acting like police officers, etc. Fortunately, the jury did not.
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 2:32:14 AM UTC-4, T wrote:

All a "bad" cop had to do in this situation is say that the guy's eyes appeared glazed and he thought he smelled alcohol in the car. Which isn't much of a threshold at all, when some AH is dissing you. At that point, he could order the guy out of the car for field sobriety tests. Then what? The guy refuses? He'd probably be technically right within the law, but you refuse, they bust your window, drag you from the car, good luck with that. You could sue them in court, probably lose.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I've seen plenty of these "know your rights" guys on Youtube. So I know my rights. I simply prefer not to exercise my right to be an asshole, because I'm not an asshole.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/16 5:18 AM, Diesel wrote:

The U.S. Supreme Court issued some rulings this summer: https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id8927
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 5:19:03 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

I have a friend who would to that exact same thing if stopped. I hope I'm with him if/when he gets stopped.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.