How to deal with police at a DUI checkpoint

And this is how it's done.

Reply to
Diesel

That was two really patient cops!

I agree and the driver was foolish to taunt them but probably wanted to get a video of them overreacting.

OTOH checkpoint thing is probably not needed. I've seen drunks driving at night and they are easy to spot without check points.

Reply to
Frank

You go ahead and do that. I'd rather not waste everybody's time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I've always found that the best way to deal with police is simply to be polite and cooperate. Plenty of times a ticket just became a warning.

Reply to
philo

Well, that's probably because they knew he understood his rights and was invoking them. A lot of people have no idea that cops can legally lie to you. A lot of people have no idea what their individual rights actually are when encountering them. This sometimes results in convictions that wouldn't have otherwise occured. Know your rights!

Reply to
Diesel

I don't consider knowing my rights AND invoking them a waste of time. If you blindly trust that cops have your best interest in mind when you're stopped, that's on you. I'm not that gullible.

Reply to
Diesel

So a few weeks later you are pulled over by the same cop for doing 42 in a 30 zone. What is the chance of getting a ticket versus a warning?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

That's exactly what happened last time I was stopped. In a small town.

Reply to
Sam E

The U.S. Supreme Court issued some rulings this summer:

Dean Hoffman

First of all, I pay attention to my surroundings. Especially when driving. So, it's highly unlikely i'm going to be cruising 12 over the posted speed limit as that invites a cop to pull me over. I don't go out looking for unwanted interactions with the police. Your example also changes things because that point I've broken the law. That, and, I prefer to have a nice clean driving record. Less cost for insurance this way, you see.

Reply to
Diesel

I have a friend who would to that exact same thing if stopped. I hope I'm with him if/when he gets stopped.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

Sure, when you have committed an infraction, it is best to be polite.

In the case that OP posted however, the individual had broken no laws, but was still stopped and questioned by law enforcement; that is a different animal altogether.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

If he'd cooperated he'd have been out of there much quicker. The poor folks stopped behind him would have been out of there much quicker. And the officers checking him could have been using that wasted time checking other people for DUI. Cooperating with police when they are legitimately doing their job even though you don't have to is IMO a good thing. YMMV. When that guy does get whacked by a drunk driver someday he undoubtedly will be complaining about lack of police enforcement. Never fails...

Reply to
AL

My best childhood friend became a cop. A rather good one too. His advice was that to always be polite to them. That way you would never find out who the good cops and the bad cops were.

Had these officers been bad cops, all the invoking of rights would have not stopped bad cops from split open the dick's head.

Seriously now. The cops have responsibilities towards us and we do indeed have our rights. But do not forget that we also have responsibilities towards them too. Sometimes you just need to work with them.

And, don't be a dick.

And also remember: WE PAY THEM TO BE SUSPICIOUS !

A badge doesn't automatically mean I should treat you any differently than I would someone else who's trying to detain me without a just cause for doing so. This isn't nazi germany, not yet anyway. Was your childhood friend also a hallway monitor?

Funny thing about videos these days. One doesn't always have to have it recording locally; it could be transmitting the video real time offsite via an internet connection. When the bad cops decide to have their fun and trash the camera, a nice lawsuit ensues and the cops lose their jobs. OR, some disgruntled citizens ambush them sometime later and we get to read about cops either dead and/or in critical condition later. Either way, bad cops are dealt with.

I have no responsibilities towards them. You seem to be quick to forget, YOU and I pay for them via taxes. They are public servants. Yet, they do not have our best interests at heart. They are trained to assume we're upto no good and treat us accordingly.

I disagree that I'm being a dick by wanting to know why I was stopped or what crime it is you think I might have committed. I do not have to help you to build a case against me.

We pay them to protect and to serve. They tend to forget that, though.

Reply to
Diesel

I've rolled into two types of 'checkpoints' so far. DUI and drivers license check. After some discussion and back and forth I was free to leave in both cases. I did not get out of my truck, I did not present them ID. I did respectfully inform the first officer that if he attempted to open my truck door again, I would treat it as an attempted car jacking and act accordingly. He didn't ask me to step out of my vehicle, he just took it upon himself to try and open my door. As I keep them locked while i'm in it, he wasn't able to do so.

I do carry, I will use it in self defense and defense of my property, as is my right. My truck is my castle and you will not tresspass. Especially when I'm not breaking the law. This country is turning more and more into a police state because some people are allowing it. They assume the cop is your 'friend' and has your best interests in mind. They don't; ask any defense lawyer.

Granted, not all cops are bad, but, the bad ones make it very difficult to determine which is which; and, at the end of the day, why take chances that could give you a criminal record of some kind, thru no direct fault of your own. Or worse, another person dead by an overzealous cop who decided to get trigger happy. I'll pass, thanks.

Reply to
Diesel

I've seen plenty of these "know your rights" guys on Youtube. So I know my rights. I simply prefer not to exercise my right to be an asshole, because I'm not an asshole.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Be a good little Nazi and move along. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeah, we all read The Naked Ape.

We do NOT pay them to harrass us.

I notice everyone, here, who thinks the padre did the wrong thing seems to ignore the illegality of the Border Patrol stop, the video of the drug dog, federal officers acting like police officers, etc. Fortunately, the jury did not.

nb

Reply to
notbob