How to deal with police at a DUI checkpoint

Page 1 of 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjtDoKDIVIw

And this is how it's done.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
On 10/16/2016 03:18 AM, Diesel wrote:

That was two really patient cops!
On 10/16/2016 7:26 AM, T wrote:

I agree and the driver was foolish to taunt them but probably wanted to get a video of them overreacting.
OTOH checkpoint thing is probably not needed. I've seen drunks driving at night and they are easy to spot without check points.
11:26:46 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Well, that's probably because they knew he understood his rights and was invoking them. A lot of people have no idea that cops can legally lie to you. A lot of people have no idea what their individual rights actually are when encountering them. This sometimes results in convictions that wouldn't have otherwise occured. Know your rights!
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin

What is wrong with your country? The police don't have power to ask you to get out of your car, or to get you to answer questions, or to test you for being drunk? So I can drive around drunk and just tell them to get lost?
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

Followed up by your pension when my lawyers are done playing with you. It's very clear that your comfortable being a sheep. I wouldn't ever want to try and change your line of thinking. Sheep can be useful too.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
T posted for all of us...

Think so? Don't eat properly and have stress and exercise and tell me how you feel.

Yes, why are you planning on getting stopped?
--
Tekkie

You go ahead and do that. I'd rather not waste everybody's time.
On 10/16/2016 10:21 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I've always found that the best way to deal with police is simply to be polite and cooperate. Plenty of times a ticket just became a warning.
On 10/16/2016 03:29 PM, philo wrote:
[snip]

That's exactly what happened last time I was stopped. In a small town.
On 10/16/2016 06:20 PM, Sam E wrote:

Though a few times I got just a warning for being polite, there is one time something different happened:
I got a speeding ticket in a small town...it was obviously a trap and a way for the community to make money...but I was very polite.
The fine was so small I was not worried about it but he told me to take it to court and they would "so something" for me. When I realized that a speeding ticket could make my car insurance go up I figured it would be a good idea to go to their court.
I did not have to say a word, the magistrate simply asked if I wanted the ticket changed to a non-moving violation of the same dollar value fine.
I took that option and paid the $90 and my insurance was not effected.
Only thing is my records now say that I vandalized a street sign!
On 10/17/2016 08:06 AM, philo wrote:

That was you !?!?!
On 10/17/2016 05:22 PM, T wrote:

Oh no
On 10/16/16 2:29 PM, philo wrote:

Sure, when you have committed an infraction, it is best to be polite.
In the case that OP posted however, the individual had broken no laws, but was still stopped and questioned by law enforcement; that is a different animal altogether.
Jon
On 10/16/2016 7:32 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

If he'd cooperated he'd have been out of there much quicker. The poor folks stopped behind him would have been out of there much quicker. And the officers checking him could have been using that wasted time checking other people for DUI. Cooperating with police when they are legitimately doing their job even though you don't have to is IMO a good thing. YMMV. When that guy does get whacked by a drunk driver someday he undoubtedly will be complaining about lack of police enforcement. Never fails...

Be a good little Nazi and move along. 8|
nb
On 10/16/2016 09:32 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

He might have been right but all he did was waste a lot of time.

How is it his fault? HE didn't put up the check point, HE didn't stop the police, HE didn't almost kill the cops, etc.
Yes, I know about cops. Was harrased by 'em when I was only 16 and many times since then. I usta brag on my record of being pulled over 11 times in 2 yrs and never once being cited. It was all plain ol' harrassment. I've been self rightous enough about my situation up to the point where I told off the cop off and got away with it (cuz I was right and the cop was dead wrong!).
I've even beat the cops in court. Why? Cuz they were either liars or too stupid to know what they were citing me for. I loved that the judge gave a pre-court speech claiming "everyone is innocent until proven guilty, then, when I beat the case cuz the cops filled out the ticket incorrectly, the judge admonished me with a parting shot, "I know you did something wrong". Apparently, that "innocent until proven guilty" myth is highly subject to a judge's whims. ;)
nb
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:23:32 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Why are you talking about killing cops in response to a statement about some dick wasting people's time?
The "time wasting" is his fault because a simple DUI check takes less than a minute, maybe 2. He spent ~6 minutes being a dick, getting more than one officer involved and holding up anyone that was behind him.

Under the law, you were innocent. That doesn't mean you didn't do something wrong. The judge didn't say you were *guilty*, he said you did something wrong. Based on your description of the situation ("I beat the case cuz the cops filled out the ticket incorrectly") he was absolutely right.
My daughter did something wrong but was not found guilty because the cop took a vacation day on her court day. Under the law she was "innocent" but I still took the keys away because she did "something wrong". Even as an 18 YO she knew the difference.
On 10/17/2016 9:23 AM, notbob wrote:

But you still were sentenced to a day in court weren't you. Didn't you just love wasting all that time? (While the cop got paid to take a break from the street and relax.)

So the ticket was good then. You just beat it on a technicality. You could have saved yourself a lot of time and grief by just obeying the law. Or at least by being a little more polite to the officer when stopped.

But judging from your posting style that's not likely so please enjoy your many upcoming court dates... ;)