How to deal with old paint in this instance

Hi,
I would like to repaint my window sill, which has an old thick coat of paint which broke in one place and now looks like this:
https://www.math.drexel.edu/~pg/paint.jpg
Obviously I can't just paint over that b/c it will show. What's the best way to deal with this problem? Fill the "pothole" with wood putty? Or do something else?
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron Fude
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The easy way out is to fill it with filler of some sort, such as spackle that comes in those little plastic cans at the hardware store. But because that one area cracked off, other areas will probably do so too eventually. The best thing to do would be to strip off all the old paint, prime it, and then repaint. It can be stripped with a heat gun and/or chemical paint stripper. The usual precautions about lead paint apply.
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could try many different "fixes" but the only right one with that much paint in that condition is to strip the paint off, properly prepare the wood, prime and paint with top quality paint.
Watch out however, you may decide that it looks so much better you will want to do all the windows.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Mine looked like that when I bought my house. Use a heat gun to remove the old paint, then repair surface, prime, and paint. Be careful witht he heat gun around vynil windows. Use the lower setting as you get close to it. Mine came out great!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It looks like there is a good deal of loose paint, which needs to be scraped off. Is this interior sill? If you can remove the sill, you can strip it, sand, prime and repaint. At least, scrape the loose paint. You can then sand to feather the edge, prime, paint.
On 10 Jan 2007 05:33:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Scrape any loose paint. Prime bare spots. Skim coat with latex wood filler. My preference is Elmer's Carpenters Wood Filler but I imagine they are all largely the same. Sand smooth. Spot prime repaired areas. Paint window. That's how I've been doing it for a long while and have had no call backs. FWIW YMMV