How to deal with old paint in this instance

Hi,

I would like to repaint my window sill, which has an old thick coat of paint which broke in one place and now looks like this:

Obviously I can't just paint over that b/c it will show. What's the best way to deal with this problem? Fill the "pothole" with wood putty? Or do something else?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

The easy way out is to fill it with filler of some sort, such as spackle that comes in those little plastic cans at the hardware store. But because that one area cracked off, other areas will probably do so too eventually. The best thing to do would be to strip off all the old paint, prime it, and then repaint. It can be stripped with a heat gun and/or chemical paint stripper. The usual precautions about lead paint apply.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

You could try many different "fixes" but the only right one with that much paint in that condition is to strip the paint off, properly prepare the wood, prime and paint with top quality paint.

Watch out however, you may decide that it looks so much better you will want to do all the windows.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Mine looked like that when I bought my house. Use a heat gun to remove the old paint, then repair surface, prime, and paint. Be careful witht he heat gun around vynil windows. Use the lower setting as you get close to it. Mine came out great!

Reply to
scott21230

It looks like there is a good deal of loose paint, which needs to be scraped off. Is this interior sill? If you can remove the sill, you can strip it, sand, prime and repaint. At least, scrape the loose paint. You can then sand to feather the edge, prime, paint.

Reply to
Norminn

Scrape any loose paint. Prime bare spots. Skim coat with latex wood filler. My preference is Elmer's Carpenters Wood Filler but I imagine they are all largely the same. Sand smooth. Spot prime repaired areas. Paint window. That's how I've been doing it for a long while and have had no call backs. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

Reply to
sonofabitchsky