How To Deal With Heavy Snow On Roof In Maryland

Page 2 of 3
On 01/24/2016 10:00 PM, Don Y wrote:

refined carbohydrates -> metabolic syndrome -> stroke
An ambulance won't prevent any of that.
On 1/25/2016 2:23 AM, klm wrote:

An ambulance ensures someone with an eye for symptoms is on hand *before* and *during* the episode. Also ensures the impaired driver doesn't take the life of an innocent in the process.
Who knows how long she sat, dying, on the side of the road with no one to notice nor do anything to assist.
On 1/25/2016 9:39 AM, Don Y wrote:

What amazes me is how people are making judgements but don't know many facts. We have no way to tell just how she felt. It may not have been serious when she left and had no idea what the end result would be.
I've twice seen cases where a person did not feel well but did not think it serious. One turned out to be congestive heart failure, the other was a burst intestine that was surgery a couple of hours later.
I've seen the opposite too. Person taken by ambulnace and it turns out to be a minor problem.
On 1/25/2016 9:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Woman in question had a habit of avoiding ambulance rides. I don't know if it was the cost or the embarassment (having neighbors seeing you carted off) or just not wanting to have "strangers" in her house (another embarassment?).
She'd floated the idea numerous times in the past of asking *us* to drive her to the hospital in these situations. We made it abundantly clear: if you need a ride for a doctor's appointment, etc. feel free to ask. If it's an EMERGENCY, then don't put US in the position of having to assume responsibility for your welfare! The ambulance/paramedics can get to your house in far less time than *we* can (she's 3 or 4 miles FARTHER outside of town than we are -- and we're a good 15 minutes drive time from the nearest hospital, esp as we'd have to obey traffic regulations, etc.)

When you're pushing 80 and have a history of health issues, you don't gamble. "Penny wise, pound foolish"

I've visited the ER three times in ~25 years: - "splattered" a fingertip one afternoon (a few stitches and a 5 hour wait) - drove fingernail onto a "spike" (remove foreign body, cleanse and 5 hrs) - *extreme* ache in lower extremities
In the first case, I could see the extent of the injury and had someone on hand to drive me. First Aid training had me prepared to control the bleeding, etc.
In the second case, I was on the hospital grounds when it occured and just needed a "lift" to travel the two blocks to the ER entrance.
In the last case, I considered my previous two experiences (having been "#1" in the triage priority list in each case -- and still having had to spend 5 hours in each case!) and opted to just go back home. Given that there were no *visible* signs of injury that could be easily identified/treated, I figured I'd probably spend MORE THAN 5 hours to see someone (as it wasn't likely that I'd be "top of the priority list") and would probably get sent home, none the wiser. *Or*, given an expensive BED to spend the weekend waiting for <whatever>.
In hindsight, the first incident was handled appropriately. No need for an ambulance. Yet, avoiding the ER would have been a mistake (no way to stuff all those "inside" back into the skin! :> )
The second incident I could have avoided the ER -- had I not been on the grounds, already. Recounting it to my MD/PCP prompted him to push for a DPT booster (advisable given the amount of work I do outdoors, etc.)
The third incident I shouldn't have bothered *going* to the hospital in the first place as I could have come to the same conclusions had I done all of the "thinking" at home before getting into the car (so, I wasted 40 minutes: 15+15 driving and 10 minutes thinking about it).
On 1/25/2016 12:14 PM, Don Y wrote:

Ah, the rest of the story. Ambulance would have been appropriate for her.
On 1/25/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you're considering a trip to the ER, ambulance is most likely the appropriate means of conveyance! She saved herself a few dollars, and some embarassment (?) -- and, thankfully, didn't leave her kids with a liability lawsuit (if she'd hit anyone while driving or otherwise damaged property).
<stuff snipped>
I am betting it's the cost. Anyone whose seen a recent ambulance bills would be wary of the cost, even with insurance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/health/think-the-er-was-expensive-look-at-the-ambulance-bill.html
<<Kira Milas has no idea who called 911, summoning an ambulance filled with emergency medical technicians. Ms. Milas, 23, was working as a swim instructor for the summer and had swum into the side of the pool, breaking three teeth. Skaken, she accepted the ambulance ride to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, Calif. The paramedics applied a neck brace as a precaution.
A week later she received a bill for the 15-minute trip: $1,772.42. Though her employer?s workers? compensation will cover the bill, she still was stunned at the charge. ?We only drove nine miles and it was a non-life-threatening injury,? she said in a phone interview. ?I needed absolutely no emergency treatment.?
Medicare, the insurance program for the elderly, does tabulate its numbers and has become alarmed at its fast-rising expenditures for ambulance rides: nearly $6 billion a year, up from just $2 billion in 2002 . . .
Some [insurers] will grant coverage if the destination was an emergency room, regardless of the patient?s status, but others may require admittance to the hospital as evidence that the condition was serious . . .
But when an ambulance arrives, sick patients or injured people like Ms. Milas, often feel they have little choice but to get in, unaware of the potential price tag . . .
Some companies even charge hundreds of dollars extra if a friend or relative rides along with an injured patients.
On 1/25/2016 4:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Then why bother with the ER instead of "urgent care" or her PCP?
It's just bad reasoning.
Neighbor's wife on some heavy duty meds: "Do not drive while you are on this Rx!"
Ah, but wifey doesn't like waiting around for the FREE "handy car" service that the city offers. So, she's out on the road every chance she gets (instead of planning her travels so she can take advantage of said service -- usually very punctual *if* you SCHEDULE a pickup; but, can't just say "come get me, NOW!")
Husband thinks nothing of this -- good Conservative: Rules are for the OTHER guys!
I casually commented: "What will you do if she gets in a wreck and the MD testifies that he told her not to drive? What will you do if she TAKES A LIFE in the process? Just shrug? What will you do if they take your *house* in the lawsuit that follows?"
As I said, upthread: people have poor reasoning/decision making skills.

This suggests Medicare would have covered the trip?

Here, we are more concerned with where they *take* us. Certain institutions are run by religious orders (won't honor DNR's, etc.). Others aren't particularly known for good care. Etc.
Moral: get sick at home, avoid getting in traffic accidents (esp if close to one of the "undesirable" providers!)

Many folks are airlifted for care, here -- too many remote areas where land carriers would take too long for each leg of the trip. Gotta wonder what one of *those* rides costs?!
On 1/25/2016 7:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

What a typo. I think you mean liberal, who thinks rules are for the other guys. Email server, for one example. Many more examples out there.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Same here. But if you're unconcious, they take you wherever they want to.

Don't get sick AT ALL if you can! (-:

I worked with a two star general who's closely associated with "Angel Flight" that provides medical air lifts for free to people who can't afford it.
http://www.angelflight.com/
Good people providing a service that's often desperately needed by those living far away from medical resources.
--
Bobby G.

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:54:25 PM UTC-6, Robert Green wrote:

for that? Even Czechoslovakia has every one covered.
<stuff snipped>

Yes, it's so embarassing that the richest nation on earth and the alleged "leader of the free world" would rather spend taxpayers money bombing and rebuilding Muslim countries on the other side of the world.
You'd think we would be mortified that place like Cuba do better than we do in caring for all their citizens. The role of "nation building" is nowhere to be found in the Constitution (spelled out directly, anyway) but "to provide for the general welfare" of our citizens was placed prominently and directly right at the front.
When people talk about American "exceptionalism" I wonder if they ever think about how much better so many other countries are at providing health care to all citizens? The same goes for reasonbly priced high-speed net access (even though we started the internet! For shame!!).
We could learn a lot about how the Germans value training programs to get people back to work but we can't pass a simple jobs bill after the biggest crash since 1929. "American Exceptionalism" seems to mean we're so egotistical these days we believe that no other country has anything to teach us.
And worse, Bush couldn't win a war against insurgents armed mostly with IED's. So the long wars he started in Afghanistan and Iraq have given hope to terrorists all over the world who now know that the American military couldn't prevail against the Taliban and Al-Queda.
Bush made us look weak, stupid and willing to bankrupt ourselves fighting people who had little or nothing to do with 9/11. As soon as we started to pull out, the Iraqis went right back to their old ways and reignited the Sunni/Shia feud. What a surprise! Heckuva a job, Bushie.
--
Bobby G.

billed at $7,500. Of course, they ended up settling for about 10% from Medicare. I pity the poor guy with no insurance who is responsible for the full amount. A screwy system.>>
Very much so. But it's a testament to how the power of Medicare's huge "customer" base helps negotiate outrageous charges down to the realm of reality. If Congress hadn't wimped out and allowed Medicare to negotiate drug prices, we wouldn't be subsidizing Europe who DOES get a big negotiated discount on US drugs for their health care insurers. Getting booted off the formulary is something Big Pharma likes to avoid like the plague so they often cave on outrageously high prices.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green posted for all of us...

--
> ---

I wish the dispatcher & medics could be mind readers. Then they could have
On 1/24/2016 3:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

May have better luck with snow rakes, buying online and have it shipped in. Of course, with Storm Jonas, the online places may well be sold out, also.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 11:19:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm in Maryland, NW of Baltimore.
We had 30" of snow last night, but looking at my n'bors' townhouses, they have only about 5" of snow on them. Maybe too much hot air in the attic? Some of the snow is falling off the trees too.
The pictch is about 7-8/20 which is 4.2 to 4.8 over 12. I guess there are no roofs that are 4.2/12, so maybe it's 4 or 5. Not much different from your brother's.

Is he susceptible to ice dams?
He could go in the attic and maybe get an idea. Is any part of the roof sagging?

I havent' done this but maybe hit the roof pretty hard with a baseball bat and get some of the snow to slide off.
Worry about the north side of the house. I realize I'm looking at the south side, or east and west sides, of my n'bors. I can't see any north sides but I know they get less sun and melt slower.

On 1/24/2016 3:39 PM, Micky wrote:

In Alaska, they use artillery shells launched from a Howitzer. And they drop bags of explosive from a helicopter. Perhaps you can use these techniques at home?
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 17:34:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Use a drone to drag a snow rake.
It's dark here now. I should have suggested before, but he can just tie a 2 or 3 foot stick to a rope or a heavy string and throw it on the roof, then pull it off. That will start the snow coming off.

Micky wrote:

Better than having a caved in roof.