Boric acid has medicinal uses, as well (eye wash, douche, etc.). It is
relatively non-toxic to humans, but, then, water can be toxic if taken
in too great amounts. For some insects, at least, I believe it is the
crystals' physical properties, not chemical, that kill the bugs. Or
larvae ... ? Our vet recommended using it to treat carpets for fleas,
but the cat's topical stuff did the trick. Sprinkled into the carpet
and worked in should not cause it to be airborne unless someone beats on
the carpet. Wouldn't let the baby crawl on it, but fleas don't help
babies much either.
:) Borax is so widely used it is virtually impossible to avoid exposure.
:) In some countries, it is even used in food. It can be used to control
:) fleas and carpenter ants. While some people feel it is very toxic, in
:) fact it has about the same toxicity as table salt (LD50 toxicity around
:) 3,000 mg/kg body mass, if Wikipedia is to be believed).
Yet the biggest reason for recommendation of boric acid/borax usage
seems to be for the low toxicity exposure and it usually is many more
times toxic than any of the over the counter sprays used for insect
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.